Mathematica Plot3D doesn't work in ubuntu 9.04

In summary: Your Name]In summary, a user on Ubuntu is experiencing an issue with the Plot3D command in Mathematica not displaying the graph, even though it is present when rotated. This occurred after updating the distro and using Mathematica 7. Some potential solutions include checking if the issue is specific to Mathematica, updating graphics drivers, and changing the graphics rendering settings in Mathematica. If the issue persists, it is recommended to reach out to the Mathematica support team for further assistance.
asoz
I know this is not as much a mathematica problem as an ubuntu problem but I guess that many use linux (hopefully ubuntu) here so maybe someone had the same issue and could solve it somehow.

When running the Plot3D command the graph doesn't appear, but I know it's there because when I rotate the otherwise invisible graph I can see it. So the only way I can see the graph is rotating it, which is very annoying.

By the way, this happened after updating the distro to 9.04 and under mathematica 7.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. As a scientist who uses Mathematica on Ubuntu, I can understand the frustration of not being able to see the graph. I have not personally experienced this issue, but I have some suggestions that may help.

Firstly, I would recommend checking if the issue is specific to Mathematica or if it occurs with other programs as well. This could help narrow down the source of the problem. Additionally, you can try updating the graphics drivers on your system as outdated drivers can sometimes cause display issues.

If the issue persists, you can try changing the graphics rendering settings in Mathematica. Go to the Preferences menu, then under Appearance > Graphics, try changing the default rendering engine to "Software OpenGL". This may help with the rendering of the graph.

If none of these solutions work, I would suggest reaching out to the Mathematica support team for further assistance. They may have more specific solutions for this issue or be able to provide a patch to fix it.

I hope this helps and that you are able to resolve this issue soon. Thank you for using Mathematica on Ubuntu and for your contributions to the scientific community.

I understand the frustration of encountering technical issues while conducting research. In this case, it seems that the issue lies with the compatibility between Mathematica and Ubuntu 9.04. While it is not a problem specific to Mathematica, it is still hindering your ability to use the software effectively.

I would recommend reaching out to the technical support teams for both Mathematica and Ubuntu to see if they have any solutions or workarounds for this issue. It may also be helpful to check online forums or communities to see if others have encountered and solved this problem.

In the meantime, you could try using an alternative software or a different version of Ubuntu to see if that resolves the issue. It may also be helpful to document the steps you took before the issue occurred, as well as any error messages that appeared, to provide more information for troubleshooting.

Overall, I hope that a resolution can be found so that you can continue your research without this hindrance. Best of luck.

1. Why isn't Mathematica Plot3D working in Ubuntu 9.04?

The most likely reason is that Ubuntu 9.04 is an older version and may not be compatible with the latest version of Mathematica. It is recommended to update to a newer version of Ubuntu or to use an older version of Mathematica that is compatible with Ubuntu 9.04.

2. Can I fix the issue with Mathematica Plot3D not working in Ubuntu 9.04?

There are a few potential solutions that may work. You can try installing any available updates for Ubuntu 9.04, updating your graphics drivers, or reinstalling Mathematica. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu.

3. Is there a specific workaround for using Mathematica Plot3D in Ubuntu 9.04?

There is not a specific workaround for using Mathematica Plot3D in Ubuntu 9.04, but some users have reported success by using Wine, a compatibility layer for running Windows applications on Linux. However, this is not a guaranteed solution and may not work for all users.

4. Can I run Mathematica Plot3D in a virtual machine on Ubuntu 9.04?

Yes, it is possible to run Mathematica Plot3D in a virtual machine on Ubuntu 9.04. However, this may not provide the best performance and may still encounter compatibility issues. It is recommended to use a newer version of Ubuntu or a different operating system for better results.

5. What other options do I have if Mathematica Plot3D does not work in Ubuntu 9.04?

If none of the solutions mentioned above work, there are a few other options available. You can try using a different software for plotting, such as GNU Octave or R, both of which are available for Ubuntu 9.04. Alternatively, you can consider upgrading to a newer version of Ubuntu or switching to a different operating system that is compatible with Mathematica.