Fractional Uncertainty and Precision/Accuracy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a stopwatch to measure and record time, along with calculating the average and uncertainty. The question is raised about whether the fractional uncertainty is a measure of precision or accuracy, and it is determined that it is a measure of accuracy. The conversation also draws a comparison to a dartboard to explain the concept.
ntox101

Homework Statement

I am to use a stopwatch and record the time is takes for me to start and stop it ten times. I have collected my data, and calculated the average along with uncertainty and a fractional uncertainty. I am asked if the fractional uncertainty is a measure of precision or accuracy? I am not quite sure.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the fractional uncertainty is related to accuracy because no matter how many times I start and stop the watch, it is going to be around the same value each time. The (.06s) / (.18s) uncertainty which is .33, is referring to how accurate I am to my average value.

I know the different between precision and accuracy. For example a dartboard. All shots in the bullseye, close to each other represents both. Shots bunched together but not close to the bullseye would represent precision. How does this relate to this stopwatch experience?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post and for sharing your data! The fractional uncertainty in this case is indeed a measure of accuracy, as it represents the deviation of your individual measurements from the average. This is similar to your example of the dartboard, where shots close to the bullseye represent both precision and accuracy, while shots bunched together but not close to the bullseye represent precision without accuracy. In the case of the stopwatch, the smaller the fractional uncertainty, the more accurate your measurements are compared to the average. Keep up the good work with your experiments and data collection!

for your question. You are correct in thinking that the fractional uncertainty is related to accuracy. In this case, the fractional uncertainty is a measure of how close your measurements are to the true or expected value. In other words, it is a measure of how accurate your measurements are.

Precision, on the other hand, refers to the consistency or repeatability of your measurements. In the dartboard example, all shots in the bullseye would represent both precision and accuracy, as they are both close to the center and consistent with each other. Shots bunched together but not close to the bullseye would represent precision, as they are consistent with each other but not accurate.

In the case of the stopwatch, if your measurements are all close to the average value and consistent with each other, then you have both precision and accuracy. However, if your measurements are close to the average value but not consistent with each other, then you have accuracy but not precision. And if your measurements are not close to the average value, then you have neither precision nor accuracy.

I hope this helps clarify the difference between precision and accuracy in this context. Keep in mind that both precision and accuracy are important in scientific measurements, as they contribute to the overall reliability and validity of your data.

1. What is fractional uncertainty?

Fractional uncertainty refers to the measure of the possible error or uncertainty in a measurement, expressed as a fraction or percentage of the measured value. It is usually represented by the symbol δ.

2. How is fractional uncertainty calculated?

Fractional uncertainty is calculated by dividing the absolute uncertainty (the smallest division on the measuring instrument) by the measured value and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. It is expressed as δ = (absolute uncertainty/measured value) x 100%.

3. What is the difference between precision and accuracy?

Precision refers to the degree of consistency or reproducibility in a set of measurements, while accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value. A measurement can be precise but not accurate, precise and accurate, or neither precise nor accurate.

4. How is fractional uncertainty related to precision and accuracy?

Fractional uncertainty is a measure of the precision of a measurement, as it indicates the possible error or variation in a measurement. A lower fractional uncertainty indicates a more precise measurement. However, precision alone does not guarantee accuracy; accuracy also depends on the correctness of the measurement method and instrument used.

5. How can we reduce fractional uncertainty in measurements?

Fractional uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and calculating the average, and minimizing sources of error such as parallax or instrumental drift. It is also important to follow proper measurement techniques and use appropriate units and significant figures in reporting measurements.