Error Propagation Homework: Find T's Error

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the error of a theoretical model for lab work, which includes differentiating variables x, theta, and s. The solution involves differentiating the term for theta and expressing the last term in a d\theta / \theta form. The conversation also introduces the concept of using a small angle approximation and suggests using capital letters for the errors to avoid confusion with derivatives.
bigevil

Homework Statement

For my lab work, I have created a theoretical model that goes something like:

[tex]
T = \sqrt{\frac{ks^2}{x \sin \theta \cos^2\theta}}
[/tex]

where k is a constant, and the variables to be differentiated are x, theta and s. How do I find the error of T? I can find the errors of x and s (dx/x and ds/s) from experiment. And of course

[tex]d\theta / \theta[/tex] can also be found from the instrument.

The Attempt at a Solution

Differentiating the term for theta,

[tex]\frac{dF}{d\theta} = -\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{1}{\sin\theta \cos^2 \theta}} \cos\theta (1 - 3\sin^2\theta)[/tex]

It's easier to differentiate the other two. Anyway, I have:

[tex]\frac{dT}{T} = \frac{ds}{s} + \frac{1}{2}\frac{dx}{x} + \frac{(3\sin^2\theta - 1)\cos\theta}{2}d\theta[/tex]

How can I express the last term in a [tex]d\theta / \theta[/tex] form? The only thing I can think of at the moment is using a small angle approximation, but I don't know how to justify that. And also, clearly, if I could use that, the small angle approximation for cosine has a square term.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a function of multiple variables, [tex]T=f(x, s, \theta)[/tex], the error in the function, [tex]\Delta T=\sqrt{(\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\cdot \Delta x)^2+(\frac{\partial T}{\partial s}\cdot \Delta s)^2+(\frac{\partial T}{\partial \theta}\cdot \Delta \theta)^2}[/tex]

I suggest that you stop using the lowercase [tex]d[/tex] for the errors, because you're bound to get it mixed up with the derivatives you're taking.

To find the error of T, we need to use the error propagation formula:

δT = √( (∂T/∂x)² * δx² + (∂T/∂θ)² * δθ² + (∂T/∂s)² * δs² )

where δx, δθ, and δs are the errors in x, θ, and s respectively.

Using the chain rule, we can find the partial derivatives of T with respect to each variable:

∂T/∂x = (1/2) * √(k/s² * sinθ * cos²θ) * (-1/x²) = -(1/2) * T/x

∂T/∂θ = (1/2) * √(k/s² * cos²θ / sin³θ) * (1 - 3sin²θ) = (1/2) * T * (1 - 3sin²θ) / (sinθ * cos²θ)

∂T/∂s = (1/2) * √(k/s² * sinθ * cos²θ) * (-2s/s³) = -(1/s) * T

Substituting these values into the error propagation formula, we get:

δT = √( (-1/2) * T/x * δx² + (1/2) * T * (1 - 3sin²θ) / (sinθ * cos²θ) * δθ² + (-1/s) * T * δs² )

We can express the last term in the form of dθ/θ by using the small angle approximation for sine and cosine. This approximation states that for small angles, sinθ ≈ θ and cosθ ≈ 1. Therefore, we can rewrite the last term as:

(-1/s) * T * δs² = (-1/s) * T * (dθ/θ * θ)² ≈ (-1/s) * T * (dθ)²

Substituting this into the error propagation formula, we get:

δT = √( (-1/2) * T/x * δx² + (1/2) * T * (1 - 3θ²) * δθ² + (-1/s) * T * δs² )

This

1. What is error propagation in science?

Error propagation is the process of quantifying and predicting the uncertainties or errors associated with a scientific measurement or calculation. It involves analyzing the sources of error and determining how they affect the final result.

2. Why is error propagation important?

Error propagation is important because it allows scientists to understand the reliability and accuracy of their data. It also helps in identifying and minimizing potential sources of error in an experiment or calculation.

3. How is error propagation calculated?

Error propagation is calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the uncertainties associated with each measurement or value used in the calculation. This can involve techniques such as the law of propagation of uncertainty or the use of error bars in graphs.

4. What is the significance of "T's error" in error propagation homework?

"T's error" refers to the uncertainty associated with the independent variable in an experiment or calculation. It is an important factor in error propagation as it can greatly affect the final result.

5. How can error propagation be minimized?

Error propagation can be minimized by using precise and accurate measurement techniques, conducting multiple trials, and identifying and reducing sources of error. It is also important to properly account for uncertainties in calculations and to use statistical analysis to evaluate the reliability of the data.