Energy, non-conservative and conservative forces question

In summary: W = Fd cos(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and displacement). So the equation should be K1 - K0 = -((mV0^2)/2 + mgh) = Fs. The book may have just omitted the negative sign for simplicity. Glad to hear that you understand everything else! You're welcome!
holezch

Homework Statement

An object with an initial velocity V0 of 14 m/2 falls from a height of 240m and buries itself in 0.20 m of sand. The mass of the body is 1.0 kg. Find the average resistive force exerted by the sand on the body. Neglect air resistance.

Homework Equations

change in K = W (of resultant force)
change in K + change in U (potential energy) = 0 [conservative forces]
change in K + change in U + work done by friction = 0 [non conservative friction]\

...et c

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution from textbook:

the kinetic energy of the body as it is about to hit the sand:

K = (mV0^2)/2 + mgh

where m is mass g is gravity h is the height from the sky to the sand

Also, from the work-energy principle: (then it says "approximately")

K = Fs, where F is the average resistive force of the sand onto the body and s is the distance into the sand.

This part is weird to me.. shouldn't change in K equal to the work done as the object falls from the sky? How come K = Fs?

Then they just plug things in and solve.. I just don't get how they could just ignore the non-conservative force from friction and how they could just say that K = Fs..

Thank you.. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a bit confusing the way the problem was solved. They first considered the KE of the object just before it hit the ground, using conservation of Mechanical Energy with only conservative forces acting (there is no friction during the fall, neglecting air resistance). That's your second equation. Then the second part uses the work enrgy theorem, and neglects the work done by gravity in that short distance through the sand (W_c +W_nc = delta KE, where W_c is neglected). The more exact solution utilizes your 3rd equation, from start point to end point.

PhanthomJay said:
It's a bit confusing the way the problem was solved. They
first considered the KE of the object just before it hit the ground, using conservation of Mechanical Energy with only conservative forces acting (there is no friction during the fall, neglecting air resistance). That's your second equation. Then the second part uses the work enrgy theorem, and neglects the work done by gravity in that short distance through the sand (W_c +W_nc = delta KE, where W_c is neglected). The more exact solution utilizes your 3rd equation, from start point to end point.
Hi, thank you so much for replying.

I think I'm still confused:

W = Fs = change in K, K1 - K0..
We have K0 as it's about to go into the ground, K0 = (mV0^2)/2 + mgh.

K1, we don't know, but it should be something like W (by conservative forces) + W (by friction) + K0.

But then... K0 = Fs.

Also, how can they just omit things? Maybe it's due to the fact that it's the average? I can't quite what the difference between finding the average and finding the precise force would be.. Is it just average because we're assuming that the sand resistance is always the same?

Thank you, this is as much as I understand right now :S thank you for your patience.

EDIT: Okay, so they some how neglected the gravity, and they got K1 - K0 = work by friction = Fs. Still, that would be K1 - K0, and not K0 = Fs? [I posted the question above denoting K0 as K]

Last edited:
holezch said:
Hi, thank you so much for replying.

I think I'm still confused:

W = Fs = change in K, K1 - K0..
We have K0 as it's about to go into the ground, K0 = (mV0^2)/2 + mgh.
Correct
K1, we don't know, but it should be something like W (by conservative forces) + W (by friction) + K0.
you do know K1, it comes to a stop after burying itself 0.2 m into the sand, K1 = ?
But then... K0 = Fs.
No, K1 -K0 = Fs, as you noted above
Also, how can they just omit things?
Nothing is being omitted, except they are neglecting the work done by gravity in the short 0.2 m distance, which is small in comparision to the work done by the resistive sand force.
Maybe it's due to the fact that it's the average? I can't quite what the difference between finding the average and finding the precise force would be.. Is it just average because we're assuming that the sand resistance is always the same?
It's average because the sand resistance is not constant, it is variable, from 0 when the object first hits, to a maximum at 0.2 m (just like a spring force obeying Hooke's law, F = kx)

PhanthomJay said:
Correct you do know K1, it comes to a stop after burying itself 0.2 m into the sand, K1 = ?No, K1 -K0 = Fs, as you noted above Nothing is being omitted, except they are neglecting the work done by gravity in the short 0.2 m distance, which is small in comparision to the work done by the resistive sand force. It's average because the sand resistance is not constant, it is variable, from 0 when the object first hits, to a maximum at 0.2 m (just like a spring force obeying Hooke's law, F = kx)

ahh , okay. So K1 = 0?

Then 0 - K0 = -((mV0^2)/2 + mgh) = Fs?

The book says (mV0^2)/2 + mgh) = Fs..

Okay, I understand everything else :) Thanks so much!

holezch said:
ahh , okay. So K1 = 0?

Then 0 - K0 = -((mV0^2)/2 + mgh) = Fs?

The book says (mV0^2)/2 + mgh) = Fs..

Okay, I understand everything else :) Thanks so much!
You are correct, the work done by the sand resistive force is negative (the force acts up, the displacement is down, so the work done by the sand resistive force is negative). The magnitude of the force is a positive number.

PhanthomJay said:
You are correct, the work done by the sand resistive force is negative (the force acts up, the displacement is down, so the work done by the sand resistive force is negative). The magnitude of the force is a positive number.

Excellent!

Thank you so much :) and I especially appreciate you helping me during new year's eve :)

Happy new year!

holezch said:
Excellent!

Thank you so much :) and I especially appreciate you helping me during new year's eve :)

Happy new year!
Same to you. I hope I can stay awake to watch the ball come down in Times Square, but only to be disappointed again for the umpteenth time. I really want to see Dick Clark, though...grew up with the guy watching him on American Bandstand. Have a Happy!

Edit: And what a disappointment it was, they didn't even show the ball at midnight, its all computerized at a cost of millions, and I don't think the thing even drops anymore...Bring back the old days when the ball cost 10 bucks and did something, and American Bandstand and Dick Clark were in their prime...

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces?

The main difference between conservative and non-conservative forces is that conservative forces are path independent, while non-conservative forces are path dependent. This means that the work done by conservative forces only depends on the initial and final positions of an object, while the work done by non-conservative forces also depends on the path taken by the object.

2. What are some examples of conservative and non-conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, elastic forces, and electric forces. Non-conservative forces include friction, air resistance, and tension in a rope.

3. How does energy play a role in the concept of conservative and non-conservative forces?

Energy is a fundamental concept in understanding conservative and non-conservative forces. In a system where only conservative forces are present, the total mechanical energy (kinetic energy + potential energy) is conserved. However, in a system where non-conservative forces are present, the total mechanical energy is not conserved due to the work done by these forces.

4. Can conservative forces do work on an object?

Yes, conservative forces can do work on an object. However, the work done by conservative forces does not change the total mechanical energy of the object. This is because the work done by conservative forces is independent of the path taken by the object.

5. How can we determine if a force is conservative or non-conservative?

A force is considered conservative if the work done by that force is independent of the path taken by an object. Mathematically, this can be represented as the line integral of the force over a closed path being equal to zero. If the work done by a force is dependent on the path taken, then it is considered non-conservative.