Solving for y-intercept on a wavefunction graph

In summary, c is the constant that is found by taking the square root of 1/3. The shape of the wavefunction is a piecewise function and when squared, forms two smaller rectangles and one larger one. The probability of finding the particle between -1 and 1nm can be calculated by taking the integral of the squared wavefunction from -1 to 1 and dividing it by the total area.
Linus Pauling
40.EX16.jpg

What is c?

2. 1 = integral of wavefunction2 from -infinity to +infinity

3. From the graph, the area above the x-axis is 2/3 the total area. I solved the following integral (int) from -1 to +1:

2/3 = int(c2dx)

Obtaining 2/3 = 2c2

So c = sqrt(1/3) = 0.58 nm-1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
Linus Pauling said:
40.EX16.jpg

What is c?

2. 1 = integral of wavefunction2 from -infinity to +infinity
3. From the graph, the area above the x-axis is 2/3 the total area. I solved the following integral (int) from -1 to +1:

2/3 = int(c2dx)Obtaining 2/3 = 2c2

So c = sqrt(1/3) = 0.58 nm-1/2

Remember, your are integrating the wave function squared, so you cannot just look at THAT graph. You must realize that the graph to look at is that graph with every value squared. What happens to negative values and fractions?

Last edited:
I'm lost. What equation describes teh shape of the wavefunction given in the picture? I Understand that I will square that function, then integrate between the boundaries setting the integral equal to one, then solving for c...

Linus Pauling said:
I'm lost. What equation describes teh shape of the wavefunction given in the picture? I Understand that I will square that function, then integrate between the boundaries setting the integral equal to one, then solving for c...

I'm not sure what function. I am just saying from the graph given, graph the square of the function (which you can just do visually by squaring all the [tex]\psi[/tex] values). Then you can pull off the integration.

Also, you can just define the piecewise function. So -inf < x < -2 , psi = 0 and so on. Then just square each piece.

Ok, so the shape of the squared wavefunction is basically two smaller rectangles with height 0.25c^2 and base of length 1, and a bigger one with base of 2 and height c^2. Total area = the integral = 1 = (5/2)c^2, so c = 0.632

Correct?

I am also asked (and am confused about) computing the probablity of finding thte particle between -1 and 1nm.

Do I simply take the integral/area of the "bigger rectangle" that goes from -1 to 1nm, whose are is 2c^2, then divide by the total area 2.5c^2, i.e. 80% probability?

Linus Pauling said:
Ok, so the shape of the squared wavefunction is basically two smaller rectangles with height 0.25c^2 and base of length 1, and a bigger one with base of 2 and height c^2. Total area = the integral = 1 = (5/2)c^2, so c = 0.632

Correct?

Yup.

Linus Pauling said:
I am also asked (and am confused about) computing the probablity of finding thte particle between -1 and 1nm.

Do I simply take the integral/area of the "bigger rectangle" that goes from -1 to 1nm, whose are is 2c^2, then divide by the total area 2.5c^2, i.e. 80% probability?

Well now you know what c is and the probability of finding the particle between -1 and 1 is the integral of psi squared from -1 to 1.

1. What is the y-intercept on a wavefunction graph?

The y-intercept on a wavefunction graph is the point where the graph intersects the y-axis. It represents the value of the y-coordinate when the x-coordinate is equal to 0.

2. How do I find the y-intercept on a wavefunction graph?

To find the y-intercept on a wavefunction graph, you can look for the point where the graph crosses the y-axis. You can also set the x-coordinate to 0 and solve for the corresponding y-coordinate.

3. Why is finding the y-intercept important in solving wavefunctions?

The y-intercept is important in solving wavefunctions because it represents the initial value of the wave at the starting point of the x-axis. It can also provide information about the amplitude or phase shift of the wave.

4. Can the y-intercept on a wavefunction graph be negative?

Yes, the y-intercept on a wavefunction graph can be negative. This indicates that the wave starts at a negative value on the y-axis and may have a downward slope.

5. How does the y-intercept affect the shape of a wavefunction graph?

The y-intercept does not directly affect the shape of a wavefunction graph. However, it can provide information about the initial value and amplitude of the wave, which can affect the overall shape of the graph.