Can Printer LCDs be Controlled Without a PIC?

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd
In summary, to control an LCD screen on a printer, a microcontroller or development board with the appropriate software and hardware is needed. The most common interface used is the parallel interface, but some printers may also use a serial interface. Customizing the information displayed on the LCD is possible by programming the microcontroller. Remote control is also possible through a network connection. Some challenges when controlling the LCD on a printer include compatibility issues, programming errors, and power supply limitations. Careful selection and testing of components is important to ensure proper functionality and avoid potential challenges.
Lancelot59
Does anyone know how I can make printer LCDs do something like this:

[PLAIN]http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/129202434713447013.jpg [Broken]

Short of paralleling the RX line on the screen to a PIC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Neato. Thanks for the link!

1. How do I control an LCD screen on a printer?

To control an LCD screen on a printer, you will need to use a microcontroller or development board with the appropriate software and hardware. This will allow you to send commands and data to the LCD screen, which will then display the desired information.

2. What type of interface is used to control the LCD on a printer?

The most common interface used to control the LCD on a printer is the parallel interface, where multiple data lines and control signals are used to communicate with the LCD. Some printers may also use a serial interface, such as SPI or I2C, depending on the specific design.

3. Can I customize the information displayed on the LCD screen of a printer?

Yes, it is possible to customize the information displayed on the LCD screen of a printer by programming the microcontroller or development board to send specific commands and data to the LCD. This can include displaying printer status, error messages, or even custom graphics.

4. Is it possible to remotely control the LCD on a printer?

Yes, it is possible to remotely control the LCD on a printer through a network connection. This can be achieved by using a microcontroller or development board with Wi-Fi or Ethernet capabilities, allowing you to send commands and data to the LCD screen from a remote device.

5. What are some common challenges when controlling an LCD on a printer?

Some common challenges when controlling an LCD on a printer include compatibility issues between the microcontroller and the LCD, programming errors, and power supply limitations. It is important to carefully select and test the components to ensure proper functionality and avoid any potential challenges.