Determine the indicated roots of the complex number

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying a complex number and using De Moivre's formula to find additional roots, but the number of roots needed depends on the original problem.
paraboloid
[2(cos(pi/3)+isin(pi/3))]1/2

I simplified it to 21/2(cos(pi/6)+isin(pi/6)), but I have no idea what else to go to.

Any tips would be very helpful,
thx in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
what was the original problem? how many roots you need to find?

apart from that, you have the answer:
cos(pi/6)=sqrt(3)/2 ; sin(pi/6)=1/2

r = sqrt(2)*sqrt(3)/2 +/- i*(1/2)

that's two roots how many do you need?

Use De Moivre's formula. In general to get other roots you can add multiples of 2*pi to the angle.

gomunkul51 said:
what was the original problem? how many roots you need to find?

apart from that, you have the answer:
cos(pi/6)=sqrt(3)/2 ; sin(pi/6)=1/2

r = sqrt(2)*sqrt(3)/2 +/- i*(1/2)

that's two roots how many do you need?

The answer in the back is actually +/-(sqrt 3 + i) / sqrt(2). The text doesn't specify how many roots to find, but it looks like two roots.

Dick said:
Use De Moivre's formula. In general to get other roots you can add multiples of 2*pi to the angle.
8ab037a0d3f321422e977ca0312f54e6.png

I believe I've converted it to the latter form(k = 0), but I'm still unsure what more I need to do to get the roots.

The other root is k=1. It's the negative of the first root. Since e^(i*pi)=(-1). k=2 just gives you a copy of the first root. Since e^(i*2*pi)=1.

sqrt(2)*sqrt(3)/2 +/- i*(1/2) <-- this is almost the same as:
+/-(sqrt 3 + i) / sqrt(2)

but I must say that every complex root comes in pairs! --> r=a +/- b*i
(a,b in Reals)

so if you say the answer is "+/-(sqrt 3 + i) / sqrt(2)" then it must be:
+/-(sqrt 3 + i) / sqrt(2) & +/-(sqrt 3 - i) / sqrt(2)

so you get 4 roots...

@Dick: I think he already used De Moiver's formula when he took the root and turned it into a multiplier of one-half and multiplied the term inside the cos and sin

@paraboloid if you don't know what you need to do, just read you course book or ask your Lecturer or TA.
"It's irrelevant being precise when you don't know what's going on" ! :)

gomunkul51 said:
sqrt(2)*sqrt(3)/2 +/- i*(1/2) <-- this is almost the same as:
+/-(sqrt 3 + i) / sqrt(2)

(a,b in Reals)

so if you say the answer is "+/-(sqrt 3 + i) / sqrt(2)" then it must be:
+/-(sqrt 3 + i) / sqrt(2) & +/-(sqrt 3 - i) / sqrt(2)

so you get 4 roots...

@Dick: I think he already used De Moiver's formula when he took the root and turned it into a multiplier of one-half and multiplied the term inside the cos and sin

@paraboloid if you don't know what you need to do, just read you course book or ask your Lecturer or TA.
"It's irrelevant being precise when you don't know what's going on" ! :)

There are only two roots. If you square the conjugates, you don't get the given number. You get it's conjugate.

Dick said:
There are only two roots. If you square the conjugates, you don't get the given number. You get it's conjugate.

I see why you may be right, but again the question wasn't clear and I tried to give the general direction :)

gomunkul51 said:
(a,b in Reals)
That's only true if the coefficients of the polynomial are real. In this problem, you're trying to find the roots of

[tex]z^2 - (1+i\sqrt{3}) = 0[/tex]

which doesn't satisfy that criterion.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

vela said:
That's only true if the coefficients of the polynomial are real. In this problem, you're trying to find the roots of

[tex]z^2 - (1+i\sqrt{3}) = 0[/tex]

which doesn't satisfy that criterion.

What you are saying is right, but not in this context.
In this problem we DO NOT see the polynomial itself, but the POLAR representation of a complex number. so, as I said the number of roots depends on the original problem.
since we don't see the original polynomial a thus don't know the number of NEEDED roots !

Good luck.

1. How do you determine the indicated roots of a complex number?

To determine the indicated roots of a complex number, you can use the formula:
z1/n = r1/n * (cos((θ + 2πk)/n) + i sin((θ + 2πk)/n))
where z is the complex number, n is the root you are trying to find, r is the absolute value of z, and θ is the argument of z.

2. What does it mean to find the indicated roots of a complex number?

Finding the indicated roots of a complex number means finding all possible solutions to the equation zn = a, where z is a complex number and a is a real number. These solutions will be in the form of n complex numbers.

3. Can a complex number have more than one indicated root?

Yes, a complex number can have multiple indicated roots. For example, the complex number 4+4i has three third roots: 2+i, -1+2i, and -1-i.

4. How do you represent complex roots graphically?

Complex roots can be represented on a complex plane. The real part of the complex root corresponds to the x-coordinate, while the imaginary part corresponds to the y-coordinate. The distance from the origin to the complex root represents its absolute value.

5. What is the significance of complex roots in mathematics and science?

Complex roots are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to solve equations that have no real solutions. They are also used in fields such as engineering and physics to model and understand phenomena that involve complex numbers, such as electrical circuits and wave functions.