Raman Spectroscopy: Stokes and Anti-Stokes Wavelengths

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of edge filters in Raman spectrometers and the relationship between the stokes and anti-stokes wavelengths. It is explained that the stokes lines have a longer wavelength and the anti-stokes lines have a shorter wavelength. The use of an edge filter with a longer wavelength than the excitation source allows for the selective detection of only the stokes lines. The specific lines to be observed depend on the type of Raman spectroscopy being conducted. The speaker thanks alxm for any potential explanation.
sebitab
Hi, For someone my question could be very simple but I couldn't find a well explain paper that explain this to me.

In a Raman spectrometer the stokes and anti-stokes wavelength will always be grater than the laser wavelength used?.

I have this confusion because I saw that Raman spectrometers commonly use an edge filter that is usually a couple o nm grater than the laser wavelength.

For example for a 532nm use a 534 or 538nm edge filter to reflect only the stokes and anti-stokes wavelength.

If some one can explain this to me I will appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition the Stokes lines have a longer wavelength and the anti-Stokes lines a shorter wavelength.
So if you have an edge filter with a wavelength longer than your excitation source, you should only be seeing the Stokes lines. Which lines you want to look at depends on the kind of Raman spectroscopy you're doing.

Thank you very mauch alxm.

1. What is Raman Spectroscopy?

Raman Spectroscopy is a technique used to analyze the vibrational modes of molecules by measuring the scattered light from a sample. It provides information about the chemical makeup of a substance and can be used for qualitative and quantitative analysis.

2. What are Stokes and Anti-Stokes wavelengths?

Stokes and Anti-Stokes wavelengths refer to the shifts in the wavelength of the scattered light in Raman Spectroscopy. Stokes wavelengths are lower in energy and correspond to the inelastic scattering of photons, while Anti-Stokes wavelengths are higher in energy and correspond to the elastic scattering of photons.

3. How do Stokes and Anti-Stokes wavelengths differ?

The main difference between Stokes and Anti-Stokes wavelengths is the direction of the energy exchange between the scattered photons and the sample. In Stokes scattering, the photons lose energy and the sample gains energy, while in Anti-Stokes scattering, the photons gain energy and the sample loses energy.

4. What is the importance of Stokes and Anti-Stokes wavelengths in Raman Spectroscopy?

The Stokes and Anti-Stokes wavelengths provide valuable information about the vibrational modes and energy levels of the molecules in a sample. By measuring the shifts in these wavelengths, scientists can determine the chemical composition, structure, and properties of a substance.

5. How is Raman Spectroscopy used in scientific research?

Raman Spectroscopy is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including chemistry, biology, materials science, and pharmaceuticals. It can be used to identify unknown substances, study chemical reactions, analyze biological molecules, and characterize the properties of materials. It is a non-destructive and versatile technique that has numerous applications in research and development.