Pre-parachute air friction equal to post-parachute?

In summary, the force of air friction on a skydiver is greater when their parachute is open, but the individual molecules are hitting at a lower speed, resulting in the same total force as before. This is due to the coefficient of friction being higher in the latter case, meaning more molecules are hitting the parachute but at a slower speed.
DocZaius
I was thinking of the free body diagram of a skydiver and came across something which bothered me.

Fg = Force of gravity
Ff = Force of air friction

1. The skydiver jumps out. Fg (constant) pulls down and Ff increases until terminal velocity is reached. At that point, the skydiver is falling at a constant speed and Ff = -Fg

2. The skydiver opens his parachute. Momentarily, Ff is greater in magnitude than Fg and the skydiver accelerates upwards, losing some of his falling speed until a new terminal velocity is reached.

3. The skydiver is now falling at a constant speed but with a different profile. But since he's falling at a constant speed, Ff = -Fg.

Since Fg is constant, that means step 1 and step 3's Ff's are identical. But why is the force of air friction not higher with the parachute open?

I am sure I am missing some stupid obvious thing.

edited to add: I think I figured it out. After the parachute has opened, even though there are more air molecules hitting the skydiver and parachute, they are doing so at a smaller speed, thus exerting the same total force as pre-parachute. I had erroneously gone through life thinking air friction post-chute-opening was greater. By the way, please let me know if this explanation is correct. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it.

If we model the frictional force as:
[tex]f=c_{f}v^{2}[/tex] with c_{f} being the coefficient of friction, v the velocity, then in the latter case, its c_f is greater than in the first.

This can be translated into your language that a higher number of molecules hits the open parachute, but at a lower speed.

1. How does air friction affect a parachute's descent speed?

Air friction, also known as air resistance, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. When a parachute is deployed, the air resistance increases, slowing down the descent speed of the parachute and the person attached to it.

2. Is pre-parachute air friction equal to post-parachute?

No, pre-parachute air friction is not equal to post-parachute. Before the parachute is deployed, there is minimal air friction acting on the person. However, after the parachute is deployed, the surface area increases, resulting in a greater amount of air friction.

3. How does the shape of a parachute affect air friction?

The shape of a parachute greatly affects the amount of air friction it experiences. A larger surface area and shape that is more aerodynamic, such as a dome shape, will result in a greater amount of air friction.

4. Does the weight of the person affect the amount of air friction on a parachute?

Yes, the weight of the person can affect the amount of air friction on a parachute. A heavier person will experience greater air friction compared to a lighter person due to their larger mass.

5. Can the amount of air friction on a parachute be controlled?

Yes, the amount of air friction on a parachute can be controlled to some extent. The shape and size of the parachute, as well as the weight of the person attached, can be adjusted to manipulate the amount of air friction experienced. However, external factors such as wind speed and direction can also affect the amount of air friction.