Help understanding the Empirical Rule & Chebyshev Theory

• Thread starter iPhysicz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, you are having trouble distinguishing between the similarities and the differences between the Empirical Rule and Chebyshev's Theory. The Empirical Rule is a condensed set of 'rules' about the approximate percentages that are found with 1, 2, and 3 standard deviations of the mean for a normal distribution. It is not a mathematical theorem. Chebyshev's Theorem, on the other hand, is a theorem - there is a proof of the result: the only requirement is that the distribution have a finite variance. The theorem holds for any distribution, symmetric or skewed. It's most important use (IMO) is not in data description but in more theoretical settings. Remember from part (1) of your
iPhysicz
I'm having trouble distinguishing the similarities and the differences between the Empirical Rule and Chebyshev’s Theory. I'm a long time lurker here and figured this would be the place to ask. I understand that Chebyshev's Theory deals with real world distributions and Empirical Rule deals with normal distributions but I can't really distinguish what else to say about it... Please help thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You essentially nailed it. The Empirical Rule is simple a condensed set of 'rules' (guidelines would be a better term') about the approximate percentages that are found with 1, 2, and 3 standard deviations of the mean for a normal distribution. It is not a mathematical theorem.

Chebyshev's Theorem, on the other hand, IS a theorem - there is a proof of the result: the only requirement is that the distribution have a finite variance. Chebyshev's theorem holds for any distribution, symmetric or skewed. It's most important use (IMO) is not in data description but in more theoretical settings.

I just can't grasp how to figure out proportions of measurements below a certain number. For instance: Set data has mean of 75 and standard deviation of 5. No info about size of data set or shape of distribution (therefore use chebyshev's).
1. What can you say about proportions of measurements between 60 and 90. (I got 89%).
2. Between 65 and 85. ( I got 75%)
3. Above 90? This is where I get stuck! Can someone please help me?

Last edited:
lwerlinger said:
I just can't grasp how to figure out proportions of measurements below a certain number. For instance: Set data has mean of 75 and standard deviation of 5. No info about size of data set or shape of distribution (therefore use chebyshev's).
1. What can you say about proportions of measurements between 60 and 90. (I got 89%).
2. Between 65 and 85. ( I got 75%)
The only improvement I would make on these numbers is to say at least [itex] 89\% [/itex] and at least [itex] 75\%[/itex] - Chebyschev's Theorem gives a lower bound on the trapped percentages.
3. Above 90? This is where I get stuck! Can someone please help me?

Remember from part (1) of your question that at least [itex] 89\% [/itex] of the scores are between 65 and 90. Since you can't assume anything about the shape of the distribution, the best you can say is this: we're still missing a maximum of [itex] 11\% [/itex]
of the data. It's possible that all of it missing data is above 90, so the only conclusion to make is at most [itex] 11\%[/itex] of the scores are above 90

ah ha. Well that seems almost to easy. Thanks statdad, I really appreciate the help!

1. What is the Empirical Rule?

The Empirical Rule, also known as the 68-95-99.7 rule, is a statistical rule that describes the distribution of data in a normal distribution. It states that approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% falls within two standard deviations, and 99.7% falls within three standard deviations.

2. How is the Empirical Rule useful in data analysis?

The Empirical Rule is useful in data analysis because it allows us to make predictions about the distribution of data in a normal distribution. It helps us understand the spread and dispersion of data and can be used to identify outliers or unusual data points.

3. What is Chebyshev's Theorem?

Chebyshev's Theorem, also known as the Chebyshev Inequality, is a mathematical formula that describes the proportion of data that falls within a certain number of standard deviations from the mean. It states that at least 75% of the data falls within two standard deviations from the mean and at least 89% falls within three standard deviations.

4. How is Chebyshev's Theorem different from the Empirical Rule?

Chebyshev's Theorem is more general than the Empirical Rule and can be applied to any distribution, not just a normal distribution. It also provides a more conservative estimate of the proportion of data within a certain number of standard deviations from the mean, compared to the Empirical Rule.

5. When should I use the Empirical Rule and when should I use Chebyshev's Theorem?

The Empirical Rule is most commonly used when dealing with data that follows a normal distribution. Chebyshev's Theorem is useful when dealing with any type of distribution, but is especially helpful when the data is not normally distributed or when the sample size is small. It is always important to consider the type of data and the sample size when deciding which rule to use.