What is the Domain and Range of a Function with Given Constraints?

In summary, the function g(x) is in the function f(x) but the graph doesn't show a relation between the two. You need to figure out part b first.
preet
I'm a little confused here. I have a function: f(x) = x^2 + 3
If the domain of the function is

-3 <= x <= 3

I need to find the range...

I think that the answer is 3 <= y <= 12... that can be found out by drawing the graph. But I want to find the range algebraically. It says in my textbook to turn the 'x' in the middle of the domain shown above into the respective f(x) equation (x^2)+3... and performing whatever action on x on the other sides of the inequality. This works in other functions, but I think I'm doing something wrong with this one:

1.-3 <= x <= 3
2.9 <= x^2 <= 9
3.12 <= x^2 + 3 <= 12

I think that because in step 1 I multiplied one value by (-3) I need to flip the greater than/equal to sign(s), but not sure how to do it... as you can see, by step 3, the wrong answer is reached. Can anyone show me my mistake? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi preet - just curious...
how did you come up with that domain? what's the problem with x = -4 or x = 4?x = -5 or x = 5? etc?

The method you used only works if f(x) has a true inverse function which in this case it doesn't. This is because more than one x value exists for every y which is untrue of truly invertible functions. The function f(x) where x is lies on [0, [tex]\infty[/tex]) does have a true inverse. Take the domain to be 0<=x<=3 and then you can apply the rules you used.

Last edited by a moderator:
ah, nevermind.. preet must be referring to a restricted domain.

To go from an inequality like a<b to a^2<b^2 you need the additional assumption that a and b are non-negative 0<=a<b. Otherwise it may not be true, -4<3 but (-4)^2>3^2.

You can go a couple ways, do 2 cases, one where x<=0 and one where x>0. Or you can recognize that -3<=x<=3 is equivalent to |x|<=3, and work with 0<=|x|<=3.

Last edited:
The domain was given... anyways... I understand now. Thanks!

I have another question related to functions... I thought I'd post it in here instead of starting a new thread...

A graph of y=g(x) is as follows:
(-4, 3), (-1, -2), (2, -2), (3, 1), (6, 1)

the graph doesn't show a relation... it just shows a function... and the graph isn't a plot, so it isn't discrete.

f(x) = -g (1/2x - 3) + 1

Anyways, the questions are:
a) Draw an input/output diagram for f.
b) Determine the domain and range of f.
c) Graph 'f'

All I can do so far is
a) [ add 6 ] + [ multiply by 2 ] + [ g ] + [ multiply by -1 ] + [ add 2 ]
b) I don't know how to figure this out... the fact that function g is in function f is really confusing me...
c) I don't know how to do this either... I was thinking that I have to apply the transformations in the input output diagram, but I want to figure out part b first.

TiA.

What is the domain of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all input values for which the function is defined. In other words, it is the set of all possible x-values that can be plugged into the function to get an output.

What is the range of a function?

The range of a function is the set of all output values that the function can produce for the given input values. It is the set of all possible y-values that the function can take on.

How do you find the domain and range of a function?

To find the domain of a function, you need to determine all possible values that can be plugged into the function without resulting in an undefined output. To find the range, you need to determine all possible output values for the given input values.

Why is it important to know the domain and range of a function?

Knowing the domain and range of a function is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and its relationship with the input and output values. It also allows us to determine the maximum and minimum values of the function, which is useful in many real-world applications.

Can the domain and range of a function be infinite?

Yes, the domain and range of a function can be infinite. This means that there is no limit to the input and output values that the function can take on. This is often the case with exponential and logarithmic functions.