How oxidation effects band structure of metals?

In summary, oxygen introduces a band gap in oxides of metals, which leads to semiconductor behaviour.
uLs
Hi everyone,

I'm working on random materials which are coincidencely oxides and showing semiconductor behaviour... Some of these are metals and i suddenly realize MOS (which are practically everywhere). I know them, i know how they work and behave still i can't get to understand the effect of oxygen regarding band structure. I take a quick look to some solid state books in my library but can't come with anything so here i am. Any help will be welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
uLs said:
Hi everyone,

I'm working on random materials which are coincidencely oxides and showing semiconductor behaviour... Some of these are metals and i suddenly realize MOS (which are practically everywhere). I know them, i know how they work and behave still i can't get to understand the effect of oxygen regarding band structure. I take a quick look to some solid state books in my library but can't come with anything so here i am. Any help will be welcome!

oxygen and metal ions have their own bands and their structures depend on type of metal and lattice. many metal elements have multiple valences and can be replaced with similar metals with ease, allowing an infinite ways to introduce impurity levels. not sure what do you mean by "effect of oxygen".

He means silicon oxide SiO2, or aluminum oxide Al2O3 for example.

Apologize if i wasn't clear enough.
What i try to ask is; metals are conductors obviously however when oxygen introduced a band gap occurs and we get semiconductor behaviour with oxides of metals. It is not just Al2O3 but all of the transition metals for instance from Vanadium oxide(and derivatives) to ZnO... Si is already a semiconductor with a band gap around 1eV... So what does oxygen atoms change so there is always a similar difference in the conductivity and energy levels of the formerly conductive metal structures.
Hope i can make myself clear this time,
Regards.

uLs said:
Apologize if i wasn't clear enough.
What i try to ask is; metals are conductors obviously however when oxygen introduced a band gap occurs and we get semiconductor behaviour with oxides of metals. It is not just Al2O3 but all of the transition metals for instance from Vanadium oxide(and derivatives) to ZnO... Si is already a semiconductor with a band gap around 1eV... So what does oxygen atoms change so there is always a similar difference in the conductivity and energy levels of the formerly conductive metal structures.
Hope i can make myself clear this time,
Regards.

in oxides, metal atoms are in the forms of cations and oxygen in the form of anions. in other words, oxygen atoms have an empty band(s) lower than metal valence band(s), and some or even all of the metal valence bands are depleted and become conductive band.

those depleted bands of metal will be significantly shifted up due to the electrostatic field created by surrounding oxygen anions. the other lower metal bands will shift up by a smaller amount. as an over simplification, you can look at it this way: an electron does not interact with itself.

the degree of this depletion can be manipulated to an extent, and the final band gap is highly dependent on it.

virtualzx said:
in oxides, metal atoms are in the forms of cations and oxygen in the form of anions. in other words, oxygen atoms have an empty band(s) lower than metal valence band(s), and some or even all of the metal valence bands are depleted and become conductive band.

those depleted bands of metal will be significantly shifted up due to the electrostatic field created by surrounding oxygen anions. the other lower metal bands will shift up by a smaller amount. as an over simplification, you can look at it this way: an electron does not interact with itself.

the degree of this depletion can be manipulated to an extent, and the final band gap is highly dependent on it.

Thank you for your through explanation. So in metaloxides, highly electronegative oxygen is the owner of the carriers thus behaving as valance band while emptied bands of the metal becomes conduction band for the new structure. From that what i understand is we can assume that as the oxygen ratio to the metal in the crystal increase, the band gap should also increase. I'll check this expectation. It sound so simple now but it explains a lot to me. Thank you once again :)

1. How does oxidation affect the band structure of metals?

Oxidation can significantly alter the band structure of metals by introducing additional energy levels. When a metal undergoes oxidation, it forms a layer of oxide on its surface, which can act as an insulator. This oxide layer can trap electrons and create new energy levels, leading to changes in the band structure.

2. What is the role of oxidation in the band gap of metals?

Oxidation can increase the band gap of metals, making them less conductive. When a metal is oxidized, the electrons from the metal can transfer to the oxide layer, leaving behind holes in the metal's conduction band. This increases the energy required for electrons to move from the valence band to the conduction band, resulting in a larger band gap.

3. Can oxidation change the electrical conductivity of metals?

Yes, oxidation can significantly affect the electrical conductivity of metals. When a metal is oxidized, its surface becomes covered with an insulating oxide layer. This layer can impede the flow of electrons, reducing the metal's electrical conductivity. Additionally, as mentioned before, the band gap can also be altered by oxidation, further impacting the metal's conductivity.

4. How does the extent of oxidation influence the band structure of metals?

The extent of oxidation can have a significant impact on the band structure of metals. A thicker layer of oxide will have a greater influence on the metal's band structure, as it will introduce more energy levels and increase the band gap. On the other hand, a thin oxide layer may have a minimal effect on the band structure.

5. Are there any ways to prevent oxidation from affecting the band structure of metals?

Yes, there are several methods to prevent oxidation and its effects on the band structure of metals. One approach is to use protective coatings, such as paint or plating, to prevent the metal from coming into contact with oxygen. Another method is to use alloying elements that can form a protective oxide layer on the metal's surface, preventing further oxidation. Additionally, controlling the temperature and environment in which the metal is stored or used can also help prevent oxidation.