Aspartame: Harmful or Urban Legend?

• Thread starter Nebula
  • Start date
In summary, there are mixed opinions on the safety of aspartame. Some sources claim it can cause neurological diseases, nausea, and blindness, while others dismiss these claims as an urban legend. There are pro-aspartame and anti-aspartame websites, but it seems to be a controversial topic. The Food and Drug Administration also has information on aspartame, but their credibility may be questioned. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide whether or not they believe it is safe to consume artificial ingredients such as aspartame.
Nebula
I've heard mixed opinions on this. I've heard it causes all sorts of nuero-degenerative diseases and nausea and blindness among others. And I’ve also heard its all just a big urban legend. Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Nebula
I've heard mixed opinions on this. I've heard it causes all sorts of nuero-degenerative diseases and nausea and blindness among others. And I’ve also heard its all just a big urban legend. Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks.

I found a couple of sites with info about Aspartame.
This one came from About is seems mostly pro-Aspartame:
http://www.aspartame.org/?source=Overture

This one offers an holistic view - more of a con-Aspartame site:
[PLAIN]http://www.holisticmed.com/aspartame/[/URL] [Broken]

It seems pretty controversial. The Food & Drug Admin. site has search capabilities and there are a lot of links on that page regarding it. I would be leery of their info, tho. It IS the gov't and they have to cover their butts. (fda.COM is NOT their website! It is fda.gov.) It looks pretty much like you'll just have to decide on your own whether or not you think it is safe. I tend to stay away from artificial ANYTHING.

Last edited by a moderator:

There has been a lot of controversy surrounding aspartame and its potential health effects. Some studies have linked it to various health issues such as neurodegenerative diseases, nausea, and blindness, while others claim it is just an urban legend with no real evidence to support these claims.

The truth is, there is no clear consensus on the safety of aspartame. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other regulatory agencies have deemed it safe for consumption, as long as it is consumed within the recommended daily intake limit.

However, some studies have raised concerns about the potential long-term effects of aspartame, particularly on brain health. These studies have mainly been conducted on animals and have not been replicated in humans. Additionally, the FDA has conducted extensive reviews of these studies and has found no evidence to support the claims that aspartame causes neurological damage.

It is also worth noting that aspartame has been approved for use in over 100 countries and has been consumed by millions of people for several decades without any widespread reports of adverse effects.

Ultimately, the safety of aspartame is still a topic of debate, and more research is needed to fully understand its potential effects on human health. In the meantime, it is important to consume it in moderation and follow the recommended daily intake limit. If you have any concerns, it is best to consult with a healthcare professional for personalized advice.

What is aspartame?

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener that is commonly used as a sugar substitute in many food and beverage products. It is made up of two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and a small amount of methanol.

Is aspartame harmful?

The safety of aspartame has been a topic of debate for many years. However, numerous studies have been conducted and have found no evidence to support claims that aspartame is harmful to human health when consumed in recommended amounts.

What are the potential side effects of consuming aspartame?

Some people have reported experiencing side effects such as headaches, dizziness, and nausea after consuming aspartame. However, these symptoms are rare and typically only occur in individuals with a rare genetic disorder called phenylketonuria.

Is aspartame linked to cancer?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that aspartame causes cancer. The FDA, World Health Organization, and other health organizations have all deemed aspartame safe for consumption.

Can aspartame be safely consumed during pregnancy?

Yes, aspartame can be safely consumed during pregnancy. While pregnant women should limit their intake of certain foods and substances, there is no evidence to suggest that aspartame is harmful to the mother or unborn child when consumed in recommended amounts.