Finding Work along a displacement

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the work done by a force vector on a given displacement along the line y = 0. The method used is \int\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{x}, with the force being dependent on position and the displacement being along the x-axis. The final answer is 16 Joules.
c42
Hi

The problem given is that there is a Force vector:

F=3i(x^2 - y^2) + 2j(x+y)

Then we are given coordinates, where all values are in meters and the magnitude of force is in Newtons.

The question asks to calculate the work done in Joules by this force in a displacement along line y =0 from point 1 (0,0) to point 2 (2,0).

Now I followed the equation W = Fd.
So F= (3x^2 - 3y^2)i + (2x + 2y)j
d= 2i

So W = Fd = 6x^2 - 6y^2

But now I am not quite sure what to plug in for x or y, unless I can do W(final) - W(initial), with point 1 = initial and point 2 = final, which would be 24 Joules.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the straight line from (0, 0) to (2, 0). y= 0 at every point on that line.

Now, W is NOT Fd because F is not a constant. Work is, instead, [itex]\int\vec{F}\cdot d\vec{x}[/itex]. x is the variable of integration.

As the force is not constant but dependent on position you'll have to integrate along the given path.
W=∫F(x,y)ds where ds is the displacement along the given direction. (F and ds are both vectors, of course)
In the given problem the things are a simplified by the path being along the x-axis (y=0). In this case ds=i dx and the force depends only on x (put y=0 in the expression for force, before doing the integral).

Thank you for responding.

So I would take F=3i(x^2 - y^2) + 2j(x+y) plug in y=0, which becomes

F = 3i(x^2) + 2j(x) or F = (3x^2)i + (2x)j

Then take F dot product ds, with ds = 2i dx.

So i would take the integral from 0 to 2 for 6x^2

Which would be 2x^3 from 0 to 2, with an answer of 16 J.

Last edited:
Why do you think that ds=2idx? I mean, why the factor of 2?

1. How can I find work after being displaced from my job?

There are several ways to find work after being displaced from a job. One option is to reach out to your network and let them know that you are looking for employment. You can also search for job postings online, attend job fairs, or use a staffing agency to help connect you with job opportunities.

2. What skills or qualifications are most in demand for jobs after displacement?

The skills and qualifications that are most in demand will vary depending on the industry and job market. However, some transferable skills that are highly valued by employers include communication, problem-solving, and adaptability. Additionally, having relevant education or training in a particular field can also make you a more desirable candidate.

3. How long does it typically take to find work after being displaced?

The length of time it takes to find work after being displaced can vary greatly depending on individual circumstances and the job market. It may take some individuals only a few weeks to secure a new job, while others may take several months. Factors such as the availability of job opportunities, the competitiveness of the job market, and the individual's skills and qualifications can all impact the timeline.

4. Are there any resources or programs available to help individuals find work after being displaced?

Yes, there are resources and programs available to help individuals find work after being displaced. These can include government-funded programs, such as job placement services or job training programs, as well as community resources like job search support groups or career counseling services. Additionally, some companies may offer outplacement services to employees who have been displaced.

5. How can I make my resume and job application stand out after being displaced?

To make your resume and job application stand out after being displaced, it is important to highlight any relevant skills, qualifications, and experiences that make you a strong candidate for the position. You can also tailor your resume and cover letter to the specific job and company you are applying to, and use specific examples of how you have overcome challenges or contributed to previous workplaces. Additionally, networking and reaching out to connections can also help you stand out and potentially lead to job opportunities.