Superconductor dust levitation in the Earth's magnetic field

In summary, the recent news about metallic hydrogen has sparked interest in the potential for levitation using this material. While there are challenges with its metastability, controlling its state at will could make levitation possible. Some potential solutions for controlling the directionality of the levitating force include using a specially designed magnetic field or designing the shape of the powder particles themselves. Further research and experimentation is needed, but the possibilities are intriguing.
lzh
In the wake of recent metallic hydrogen news, and the fact that metallic has long been thought to be a room temperature superconductor, I began to ponder about the age old question of superconductor levitation. Now that we are no longer restricted by temperature requirements, perhaps levitation on Earth won't be a pipe dream any longer.

There are still many issues with metallic hydrogen, notably metastability, but let's assume that we've solved those issues and can control metallic hydrogen's state at will.

I don't know how dense metallic hydrogen are but they are the lightest metal in the known universe, and to simplify this problem we will restrict ourselves to powder superconductors, metallic hydrogen that has been shaved into the finest grains of metal possible. Picture each grain as microscopic flat thin metal sheets.

Given these criteria, the weak magnetic field on Earth should be able to create lift on the powder. Assume that this experiment is being carried out in a closed container, so air currents won't affect the powder. I did some rough calculations, and it seems to show that this type of lift is possible.

However, the magnetic fields would exist on all sides of the superconductor and create opposing force that would essentially nullify each other. It's not like the lab experiments where a magnet and superconductor are placed together. My question is, how can you control the directionality of the force when there are conflicting magnetic fields on opposite ends?

I was considering that the powder particle have some kind of distinct shape that allows for greater lift in one direction in contrast to another. But I'm not sure if this is feasible or makes sense. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

I find this topic very intriguing and I appreciate your curiosity about the possibilities of levitation with metallic hydrogen. The recent news about metallic hydrogen certainly opens up a lot of potential for new applications and discoveries. Let me address your questions and provide some insights.

Firstly, I agree that the major challenge with metallic hydrogen is its metastability. This means that it can easily revert back to its normal state, losing its metallic properties and superconductivity. However, if we are able to control its state at will, as you suggested, then levitation could definitely be a possibility.

Now, to answer your question about controlling the directionality of the levitating force, there are a few potential solutions. One possibility is to use a specially designed magnetic field that is shaped in a way to create a directional force on the powder particles. This could be achieved by using a combination of different types of magnets and controlling their orientation and strength.

Another approach could be to use the shape of the powder particles themselves to create a directional lift. This is similar to what you mentioned about the particles having a distinct shape. By designing the particles in a way that they have a higher surface area in one direction, they could experience a greater lift in that direction.

Additionally, we could also consider using a combination of both techniques to achieve a more precise and controllable levitation force. It would require further experimentation and fine-tuning, but it is definitely a possibility.

I would also like to mention that levitation using magnetic fields is not a new concept. Superconducting materials have been used to levitate small objects in laboratory settings for many years now. However, the challenge has always been to achieve levitation at room temperature, which could now be possible with metallic hydrogen.

In conclusion, while there are still many challenges and unknowns with using metallic hydrogen for levitation, it is an exciting possibility that could potentially become a reality in the future. We just need to continue researching and experimenting with this fascinating material. Thank you for bringing up this interesting topic for discussion.

1. What is superconductor dust levitation?

Superconductor dust levitation is the phenomenon where small particles of superconducting material are able to float and remain suspended in the Earth's magnetic field without any external support or energy input.

2. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect superconductor dust levitation?

The Earth's magnetic field is essential for superconductor dust levitation as it provides a constant and stable magnetic field for the particles to interact with. This interaction creates a repulsive force that counteracts the force of gravity, allowing the particles to levitate.

3. What are the potential applications of superconductor dust levitation?

Superconductor dust levitation has potential applications in transportation, such as levitating trains, as well as in energy storage and medical devices. It can also be used for scientific research and experimentation.

4. What is the role of superconductivity in dust levitation?

Superconductivity is crucial for dust levitation as it allows the particles to maintain their superconducting state and create a strong repulsive force in the presence of a magnetic field. Without superconductivity, the particles would not be able to levitate and would simply fall to the ground.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with superconductor dust levitation?

One of the main challenges of superconductor dust levitation is maintaining the superconducting state of the particles at room temperature. This requires extremely low temperatures, which can be costly and difficult to achieve. Additionally, controlling and directing the levitating particles can also be challenging and requires precise manipulation techniques.