Calculating Average Force on a Tennis Ball During a Serve

• Thread starter Rapta3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Specific
In summary, Pete Sampras was a legendary tennis player who used to have the strings of his racket stretched to a tension of 34kgf. Despite this, his rackets frequently broke. He was known for his excellent forehand and crosscourt shots.
Rapta3
How do you slove for Mb from this equation (MaVa+MbVb)/Ma+Mb=Vab

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Multiply both sides by [itex]M_a + M_b[/itex]

K got it, ty, got another one for you tho.

This one is HARD.

A 13 g bullet traveling 218 m/s penetrates a 2.0 kg block of wood and emerges going 161 m/s. If the block is stationary on a frictionless surface when hit, how fast does it move after the bullet emerges?

Try Conservation of Momentum.

Change the units into kg first...
13g = 0.013kg

so...

[tex]
0.013(218) = 0.013(161) + 2v
[/tex]

[tex]
v = \frac{0.013(218-161)}{2} = 0.3705 m/s
[/tex]

Yea converting the g to kg was the missing step, thanks.

No problems - I used to make careless mistakes like that all the time.

A tennis ball may leave the racket of a top player on the serve with a speed of 62.0 m/s. If the ball's mass is 0.0600 kg and it is in contact with the racket for 0.0200 s, what is the average force on the ball?

Would this force be large enough to lift a 60 kg person?
large enough or
not large enough

I got .0600x62=3.72

.0200/3.72=.00537

I don't think that is right because that seems way to small but I don't know what I am missing...if it is incorrec that is.

Try momentum-impluse theorem:
[tex]F\Delta t = m\Delta v[/tex]

Rapta3 said:
A tennis ball may leave the racket of a top player on the serve with a speed of 62.0 m/s. If the ball's mass is 0.0600 kg and it is in contact with the racket for 0.0200 s, what is the average force on the ball?

Would this force be large enough to lift a 60 kg person?
large enough or
not large enough

I got .0600x62=3.72

.0200/3.72=.00537

I don't think that is right because that seems way to small but I don't know what I am missing...if it is incorrec that is.

You're last calculation is wrong.As smb else said,apply the definition of force wrt to changes in momentum (the integrated form of Newton's second law) correctly.
You should be getting round about 19 kgf which would not be enough to lift 60kg off the ground,since the force needed to do that is obviously 60kgf.
Divagation ( culture useful):
The greatest tennis player ever (to me ond not only,though he didn't win Rolland Garros),Pete Sampras (i don't believe the bull**** they say about Federer),used to have the strings of his racket streched to a tension of 34kgf.It was the most "tensioned" racket in the history of the sport.And even so,it broke frequently.He was famous for breaking an impressive number of rackets (strings) during serve,which meant that (at a maximum speed of 62m/s -he never served more than 220 kmph/137mph) for light balls (the ones used on grass) the time of impact between the racket and the ball was at the order of microseconds.Amazing,really!That's the reason for those huge and perfect forehands crosscourt and down the line.Alongside genious,of course.
I almost cried when he retired. :cry:

Last edited:

1. How do I solve for a specific number?

To solve for a specific number, you will need to first identify what type of problem you are working with. This could be a mathematical equation, a scientific formula, or a word problem. Once you have identified the problem, you can then use the appropriate mathematical operations to isolate the variable and solve for the specific number.

2. What are the steps for solving for a specific number?

The steps for solving for a specific number will vary depending on the type of problem you are working with. However, the general process is to simplify the problem, isolate the variable, and then solve for the specific number. This may involve using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.

3. Can you give an example of solving for a specific number?

Yes, for example, if you have the equation 2x + 4 = 12, and you want to solve for x, you would first subtract 4 from both sides to isolate the variable. This would leave you with 2x = 8. Then, you would divide both sides by 2 to solve for x, giving you the answer x = 4.

4. What if there are multiple variables in the equation?

If there are multiple variables in the equation, you will need to use algebraic methods to isolate the variable you are trying to solve for. This may involve using the distributive property, combining like terms, or using inverse operations. It is important to keep track of your steps and make sure you are only solving for one variable at a time.

5. Are there any tips for solving for a specific number more efficiently?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you solve for a specific number more efficiently. These include understanding the properties of numbers and how they can be used to simplify equations, using shortcuts such as multiplying or dividing by powers of 10, and practicing regularly to improve your problem-solving skills.