The Principles of Quantum Mechanics (Dirac)

In summary, the text is very advanced and would require a strong math background and some knowledge of quantum mechanics to understand.
johnathon
How advanced is this text? The only exposition I've had to quantum mechanics is through "The Quantum Universe" by Brian Cox and Jeff Forshaw. That book was a nice introduction but now I'm looking for something a lot more in depth. Would someone with a strong mathematical background but only a slight exposure to quantum mechanics be able to cope with the Dirac book?

Physics news on Phys.org
By "strong math background" I assume you have studied orthogonal functions, complex variables, PDE's, and are strong in linear algebra. How is your physics background? QM does build, after all, on classical mechanics and E&M.

Dirac's book is advanced. Starting with a standard undergrad text like Griffiths and see how it goes. You can always move up if it's too easy.

It was the book I learned from. I had a strong math background, but not so strong in physics. I like the book a great deal, but the biggest drawback is that there are no problems. There is a book with a similar name by Shankar that might be a better choice for a beginner.

Jimmy Snyder said:
It was the book I learned from. I had a strong math background, but not so strong in physics. I like the book a great deal, but the biggest drawback is that there are no problems. There is a book with a similar name by Shankar that might be a better choice for a beginner.

How much quantum mechanics was in your not so strong physics background? Does the Dirac book assume preknowledge of quantum mechanics?

marcusl said:
By "strong math background" I assume you have studied orthogonal functions, complex variables, PDE's, and are strong in linear algebra. How is your physics background? QM does build, after all, on classical mechanics and E&M.

Dirac's book is advanced. Starting with a standard undergrad text like Griffiths and see how it goes. You can always move up if it's too easy.

I'd say my physics background is pretty decent. I got through 3 courses from the MIT open courseware (classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, vibrations and waves). Would that be enough to go on?

johnathon said:
I'd say my physics background is pretty decent. I got through 3 courses from the MIT open courseware (classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, vibrations and waves). Would that be enough to go on?

About 1 month ago you were saying
I have little to no knowledge in physics but I have a very strong understanding of the main topics in maths (trig, calculus etc). What should I start with in physics and what order should I progress in? What're the main topics I should know? I've heard of (but know nothing about) classical mechanics, relativistic mechanics, quantum mechanics and quantum field theory. Are there any other major topics I should do as well?
If you've went through these 3 courses from MIT open courses, I wonder in what depth. Just pointing this out for the other people to advise you. :smile:

fluidistic said:
About 1 month ago you were saying
If you've went through these 3 courses from MIT open courses, I wonder in what depth. Just pointing this out for the other people to advise you. :smile:

Yep. I've been extremely determined over the past month and have gotten through all that. Luckily I can pick up new concepts very quickly. Each course in the open courseware is about 25 lectures at one hour each, so they're pretty in depth (hope I'm not giving the impression that I rushed through it, I've just had the combination of a ton of spare time and eagerness)

If you were able to zoom through the MIT lectures so quickly then why not work your way
through Leonard Susskind's theoretical physics video lectures?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Susskind#Lectures
web.mac.com/clinton_lewis/Welkin_Sky/Susskind_Lectures_List.html

Judging by your past experience this is exactly what you're looking for.
Also, to test whether you've learned much from Lewin's lectures you should pick up a copy
of https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070257345/?tag=pfamazon01-20
If you're having problems with this then just save yourself innumerable headaches by picking
up a standard physics book & just laying into it as you simultaneously develop more
advanced mathematics.

1. What is the significance of "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Dirac?

"The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Paul Dirac is a groundbreaking book that laid the foundation for the understanding of quantum mechanics. It introduced new mathematical concepts and formalism that revolutionized the field of physics and continues to be a fundamental text for studying quantum mechanics.

2. What are the key principles discussed in Dirac's book?

The key principles discussed in Dirac's book include the wave-particle duality of matter, the uncertainty principle, and the superposition principle. He also introduced the concept of operators and their corresponding eigenvalues, which are fundamental in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How does Dirac's book contribute to the understanding of quantum mechanics?

Dirac's book provides a comprehensive framework for understanding the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It introduced new mathematical tools and formalism, such as the Dirac notation and the bra-ket notation, which greatly simplified the calculations and interpretation of quantum systems. It also provided a deeper insight into the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

4. Is "The Principles of Quantum Mechanics" still relevant today?

Yes, Dirac's book is still considered a fundamental text in the field of quantum mechanics and is widely used in universities and research institutions. The principles and concepts introduced by Dirac continue to be relevant in current research and applications in quantum technology.

5. What are some criticisms of Dirac's book?

Some criticisms of Dirac's book include its heavy use of mathematical formalism, which can be difficult for beginners to grasp. It also does not cover more advanced topics in quantum mechanics, such as quantum field theory. Additionally, some argue that the book lacks a clear explanation of the physical meaning behind the mathematical concepts and equations.