What exactly determines the energy of a wave? the intensity? or the frequency?

In summary, the energy of a wave is determined by its amplitude and frequency. In the case of stationary waves, the amplitude cancels out but the frequency remains the same, allowing the wave to continue. However, this may vary depending on the type of wave, as different types of waves carry energy in different ways.
mutineer123
I am taking AS level Physics rite now, and wanted to know what exactly determines the energy of a wave. Well since I have recently learn of stationary waves(sound waves) being standing. I know that they are formed by the superimposition of the reflected waves on the incident waves. This causes the amplitude to cancel out, and become zero. So intuitively I guess the frequency decides a waves energy, because if intensity did, then in a stationary wave, the amplitudes canceling out would make the intensity nil as well(I=κA6^2), so this will make the sound stop, which it clearly does not.
So is this reasoning right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the context actually. In terms of mechanical waves, for example a water wave ripple in a pond, more energy is carried by the wave for high amplitudes. Photons are another type of wave, but they carry energy in their frequency. A sound wave is a mechanical wave, and so the amplitude determines the energy of the wave.

1. What is the relationship between the energy of a wave and its intensity?

The energy of a wave and its intensity are directly proportional. This means that as the intensity of a wave increases, so does its energy. Similarly, as the intensity decreases, the energy of the wave also decreases.

2. How does frequency affect the energy of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its energy. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the wave decreases and vice versa. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

3. What exactly determines the energy of a wave?

The energy of a wave is determined by its amplitude, which is the maximum displacement of the wave from its equilibrium position. The greater the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries.

4. How does the medium through which a wave travels affect its energy?

The medium through which a wave travels does not affect its energy. The energy of a wave depends solely on its amplitude and frequency, which remain constant regardless of the medium.

5. Can the energy of a wave be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the energy of a wave can be changed or manipulated by altering its amplitude or frequency. This can be done through various means such as changing the source of the wave, using filters or amplifiers, or adjusting the properties of the medium through which the wave travels.