Simple rearranging of an equation

• Thread starter smulc
  • Start date
In summary, the equation can be rearranged to end up with "am^2T^4/bd^2" on one side and "C/\frac{m^2T^4}{d^2}" on the other side.
smulc
I need to rearrange an equation to end up with something else. It's supposed to be an easy question but I can't see what I'm doing wrong. Posting the actual text here would mess up the formatting so I posted a screenshot to keep it neat, I hope that's okay. Have I done the entire thing wrong or am I missing something simple?

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
You can definitely divide by b

That's good to know, that's what I was going to do but for some reason I got into my head that I couldn't. Thanks!

You need to only worry when b=0 , as division by 0 is not defined.

You can rearrange this equation in only two steps. Although the second step isn't nearly as obvious. Remember, you're not limited to only shunting around the symbols that you start with, you can do anything to the equation, as long as you do it to both sides...

Could you give me a hint on the quicker way to do it please? I can't see it. The question doesn't require a minimal number of steps so I've already answered it the longer way, I'm just curious what I'm missing though.

It's a bit faster if you keep in mind that [itex]\frac{am^2T^4}{bd^2}[/itex] can be split into [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex]x[itex]\frac{m^2T^4}{d^2}[/itex]

Then you just have to divide C by [itex]\frac{m^2T^4}{d^2}[/itex] to get the answer.

Since you are solving for a fraction and not a single variable you never need to isolate a or b on one side of the equation.

That makes sense now, think I need a bit more practice to make sure I pick things like that up. Thanks for explaining.

Here's how I did it...it's 3 steps if you count simplifying

1. multiplied both sides by d2

2.divide both sides by m2T4

3. simplify the weird looking side and see what you end up with...

1. How do I rearrange an equation?

To rearrange an equation, you can use the properties of algebra. Move terms to opposite sides of the equation by adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides by the same number or variable. The goal is to isolate the variable you are solving for on one side of the equation.

2. What is the purpose of rearranging an equation?

Rearranging an equation can help to make it easier to solve for a specific variable. It can also make the equation more visually clear and organized, making it easier to understand and work with.

3. Can I rearrange any type of equation?

Yes, you can rearrange any type of equation as long as it follows the rules of algebra. This includes linear, quadratic, exponential, and other types of equations.

4. How do I know if I rearranged an equation correctly?

To check if you rearranged an equation correctly, you can plug your solution back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to graph both the original and rearranged equation and see if they have the same solution.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for rearranging equations?

There are some common patterns and shortcuts that can be used when rearranging equations, such as using the distributive property or combining like terms. However, it is important to understand the basic principles of algebra and not rely solely on shortcuts, as they may not work for every equation.