Work Energy Theorem problem: Dealing with Gravitational Force on a hanging man

In summary, Spiderman with a mass of 80.0 kg was able to use his repeated bending at the waist to swing on a 12.0 m rope attached to a tree limb above. By reaching a 60.0 degree angle with the vertical, the gravitational force on Spiderman did 392 joules of work. This was calculated using the formula (mg)cos(90.0°-60.0°) where A = 90.0°, B = 60.0°, and m = 80 kg. The Earth exerted the force of gravity on Spiderman and his displacement was the distance he swung on the rope. The angle between the force and displacement was 60.0°.
dgibbs

Homework Statement

Spiderman, whose mass is 80.0 kg, is dangling on the free end of a 12.0 m long rope, the other end of which is fixed to a tree limb above. By repeatedly bending at the waist, he is able to get the rope in motion, eventually getting it to swing enough that he can reach a ledge when the rope makes a 60.0 degree angle with the vertical. How much work was done by the gravitational force on spiderman in this manuever?

Homework Equations

Work energy Theorem = (Force)(Displacement)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I drew a diagram. I showed that this 80.0 kg spiderman began hanging at 90.0° straight down and then he moved to a 60.0° angle. I showed that the rope was 12 m long.

I then set up the formula. A = 90.0° B = 60.0°
∫ (mg)cos(90.0°-60.0°) =
= (80kg)(9.8m/s)(cos 30.0°)
=392 joules

Physics news on Phys.org
dgibbs said:
So I drew a diagram. I showed that this 80.0 kg spiderman began hanging at 90.0° straight down and then he moved to a 60.0° angle. I showed that the rope was 12 m long.

I then set up the formula. A = 90.0° B = 60.0°
∫ (mg)cos(90.0°-60.0°) =
= (80kg)(9.8m/s)(cos 30.0°)

=392 joules

What do you mean with that formula?
How do you calculate work? What force does the Earth exert on Spiderman? What is its displacement? What is the angle between force and displacement?
ehild

1. How does the Work Energy Theorem apply to a hanging man?

The Work Energy Theorem states that the total work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In the case of a hanging man, gravity is doing work on the man as he falls, causing a change in his potential energy which is converted into kinetic energy.

2. How does gravitational force affect the hanging man in this problem?

The gravitational force is what causes the hanging man to fall. As he falls, gravity does work on him, converting his potential energy into kinetic energy. This work is proportional to the distance the man falls and the mass of the man.

3. Can you explain the relationship between work, energy, and force in this problem?

The relationship between work, energy, and force in this problem is described by the Work Energy Theorem. The work done by the gravitational force on the hanging man is equal to the change in the man's kinetic energy. This work is dependent on the force of gravity and the distance the man falls.

4. How is the potential energy of the hanging man affected by the gravitational force?

The potential energy of the hanging man is directly affected by the gravitational force. As the man falls, his potential energy decreases and is converted into kinetic energy by the force of gravity. The amount of potential energy lost is proportional to the distance the man falls and his mass.

5. How can the Work Energy Theorem be applied to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, we can use the Work Energy Theorem to calculate the work done by the gravitational force on the hanging man and the change in his kinetic energy. This will allow us to determine the final velocity of the man as he falls. We can also use the conservation of energy to calculate the potential energy of the man at different points in the fall.