I need an authoritative answer

• Thread starter jpcjr
  • Start date
In summary, a field is a set of numbers with defined operations and elements that have no direction, making them not vectors. However, a field can still be a vector space according to the more general definition of a vector space. The set of all real numbers fulfills the requirements of a vector space and can be considered a one-dimensional vector space. A field can also have a subspace, but it is different from a subfield. It is important to specify the underlying field when discussing vector spaces.
jpcjr
I thought the definition of a field was the set of all real numbers plus addition and multiplication (or whatever the particular set of operations are) and since its elements have no direction, by definition, they are not vectors; thus cannot be a vector space.

(1) Am I wrong?

(2) Can a field be a vector space?

(3) Does the following statement make sense?

A field is a vector space over itself with dimension 1.

(4) Can a field have a subspace? (I thought subfields are to fields as subspaces are to vector spaces.

Thanks!

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
(1) Am I wrong?
Yes. [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] is an example of a field, but it is much more general than that. As far as direction goes...

(2) Can a field be a vector space?
A vector space has a very specific definition that is much more general than the idea of magnitude and direction.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/VectorSpace.html
The set of all real numbers fulfills all of those requirements and is therefore a vector space. Yes, it is a silly vector space, but it has to be one. Think of it this way
[itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] is a VS with 3 dimensions
[itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] is a VS with 2 dimensions
[itex]\mathbb{R}^1=\mathbb{R}[/itex] is a VS with 1 dimension

(3) Does the following statement make sense?

A field is a vector space over itself with dimension 1.
yes. The basis is [itex]\{a\}[/itex] where [itex]a[/itex] is any single element in the field.

(4) Can a field have a subspace? (I thought subfields are to fields as subspaces are to vector spaces.
I think that properly, you shouldn't say this, but saying that the reals have no proper nontrivial subspace means

a one dimensional vector space over the reals has no proper nontrivial subspace

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

One thing you should know is that, formally, there is no such thing as a vector space. That is: if you want to have a vector space then you should always give what the underlying field is. If you do not, then the question is ambiguous.

For example, [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] gives rise to a [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]-vector space, but also to a [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex]-vector space and several other vector spaces. These vector spaces are very different from each other.

So, if you ask: is [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] a vector space, then this question is incomplete. You should ask: is [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] an [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]-vector space. The answer to this is yes.

Every field F gives rise to an F-vector space, and as F-vector space it has dimension 1. Should a field F be a G-vector space over another field G, then it might be that its dimension is no longer 1.

A field F, as an F-vector space, has exactly 2 subspaces: {0} and F itself. On the other hand, it might have many subfields. So the notion of subspace and subfield are not equal.

jpcjr said:
I thought the definition of a field was the set of all real numbers plus addition and multiplication (or whatever the particular set of operations are) and since its elements have no direction, by definition, they are not vectors; thus cannot be a vector space.
]I think you're having this confusion because you're using the definition of a vector as "a quantity with magnitude and direction". Unfortunately a different, more general definition of vector is used in higher mathematics. See this article for the axioms used to define a vector space.

Thank you very much!

Thank you very much, as well!

Thank you!

By the skin of my teeth, some help from you, and the grace of God, I received the best grade I could have expected in Linear Algebra.

Thanks, again!

Joe

1. What does it mean to need an authoritative answer?

Needing an authoritative answer means that you are looking for a response or information from a reliable and trustworthy source. This can be especially important in scientific research, as accurate and credible information is crucial for making informed decisions and drawing valid conclusions.

2. Why is it important to have an authoritative answer?

Having an authoritative answer is important because it ensures that the information you are using is accurate and based on evidence. This is especially important in scientific research, where incorrect information can lead to flawed conclusions and potentially harmful outcomes.

3. How do you determine if an answer is authoritative?

An authoritative answer is usually given by an expert or authority in the subject matter. This can be someone with a relevant degree or extensive experience in the field. Additionally, an authoritative answer is backed up by reliable sources and evidence, rather than personal opinions or unverified claims.

4. Can an answer be both authoritative and incorrect?

While an authoritative answer is typically considered to be accurate and reliable, it is still possible for it to be incorrect. This could be due to new information or research that has since been discovered, or human error on the part of the expert providing the answer. Therefore, it is important to always critically evaluate information, even if it comes from an authoritative source.

5. How can I find authoritative answers?

To find authoritative answers, it is important to consult reputable sources such as peer-reviewed scientific journals, government websites, and academic institutions. These sources typically have a rigorous review process to ensure the accuracy and credibility of the information they publish. Additionally, seeking guidance from experts in the field can also help you find authoritative answers to your questions.