How does Hughes-Hallett compare, and what to read next?

• Thread starter Opus_723
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compare
In summary, the book by Hughes-Hallett is mediocre and not recommended. Stewart is a good alternative and is easier than Hughes-Hallett.
Opus_723
I'm looking to do a calculus review, but I'd like to use a slightly more advanced book than I did earlier this year. (Part of a new theme for me. I'm almost finished with Purcell's book after stumbling on it in the library. My class was using Giancoli, so I've kind of just discovered this "honors" freshman level material, and loving it)

But I need to know what level I'm at first. We used the 5th edition of Calculus by Hughes-Hallett for single and multivariable calculus, I actually liked that book, but I don't know how good it's considered to be by folks who know better. So I wanted to know (from anyone who is familiar with Hughes-Hallett, I don't know how common it is) how it ranks among the standards that I've seen mentioned on PF. I would guess that it's around the same difficulty level as Stewart from what people say about that book? But I don't know if it's better or worse than Stewart.

Also, I of course would like to know what a good next step would be after Hughes-Hallet.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
hughes hallet seems to be so bad that even an ordinary introductory book such as stewart would be a step up.

Good to know. Any info on what exactly its shortcomings are? What would one gain from Stewart vs. Hughes-Hallett?

sorry, i am not motivated to compare in detail the mediocre with the really bad.

I was just curious as to why it's so bad? Even a vague comparison would be useful. I'm a freshman, I haven't seen a lot of textbooks to compare.

I don't know how good or how bad that text is but here are examples of good (the members here would agree that they are so, at least) books:
http://kr.cs.ait.ac.th/~radok/math/mat6/startdiall.htm
Spivak

Since you wanted an "honours" variant, I mentioned those two. There's also one by Apostol that is used at MIT and CalTech. Reed College professors (two of them; one is Jerry Shurman but I can't remember the name of the other) have lecture notes that they use for their honours calculus classes. I haven't used them myself but they're meant to be good. Look them up in case you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
My university library has Spivak, I'll take a look at that. It might be a bit above me, but I'll try and push through a chapter or two and then decide.

Visit Amazon and read the reviews on the Hughes-Hallett for example to get an idea of what others have to say about the deficiencies.

As for other books Courant and John Introduction to Calculus and Analysis is quite good and may also be in your University's library.

1. How does Hughes-Hallett compare to other textbooks in the field?

Hughes-Hallett is widely regarded as one of the most comprehensive and well-written textbooks in the field of calculus. It covers all the necessary topics in depth and provides clear explanations and examples. Many students and instructors prefer it over other textbooks due to its accessible language and extensive practice problems.

2. Is Hughes-Hallett suitable for beginners or advanced learners?

Hughes-Hallett is suitable for both beginners and advanced learners. It starts with the basics and gradually builds upon them, making it a great choice for those who are new to calculus. However, it also includes advanced topics and challenging problems that can benefit more experienced learners.

3. Are there any additional resources that can be used alongside Hughes-Hallett?

Yes, there are many additional resources that can be used alongside Hughes-Hallett. The textbook itself includes online resources such as practice problems and interactive quizzes. In addition, there are study guides, solution manuals, and video tutorials available online that can supplement the material covered in Hughes-Hallett.

4. How does Hughes-Hallett compare to other popular calculus textbooks?

Hughes-Hallett is often compared to other popular calculus textbooks such as Stewart, Thomas, and Larson. While all of these textbooks cover the same topics, Hughes-Hallett is known for its clear and concise explanations, while also providing a large number of practice problems and real-world applications. It is also praised for its organization and layout, making it easier for students to follow along.

5. What are some recommended textbooks to read after completing Hughes-Hallett?

After completing Hughes-Hallett, some recommended textbooks to read next include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus" by Michael Spivak, and "Advanced Calculus" by Gerald B. Folland. These textbooks cover more advanced topics in calculus and can help students deepen their understanding of the subject.