C++ for High Energy Physics: Reference and Textbook Guide

In summary, this physicist recommends that you start with "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup who invented the language. This book will be helpful and effective for physicists.
welatiger
Hi all;
I'm a physicist _High Energy Physics Major_ and i use some computer software that is based on C++ Programming Langauge such as (ROOT data analysis frame work - Pythia event generator)
and i need a reference or textbook that learns me C++ effectively, i have some choices:

1)Object Oriented Programming in c++ by Robert Lafore.
2)C++ Primer Plus (6th Edition) (Developer's Library) by Stephen Prata.
3)Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup.

can you help me ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Just start already. ;)

Experience teaches me that physicists never become great programmers who know all the ins and outs of a computer language.
They don't have the patience and neatness required.

Fortunately, physicists usually do know how to get the job done.
Just start using the language for practical purposes and you're set to go.
Perhaps look up a couple of examples using keywords that apply to you and combine them with the keyword C++ (yes, google recognizes it as a separate keyword).

thank you for your replies,

I understand from your words that the concepts of ​​programming may not be useful for me, it may be a later a stage, so i must read a practical book such as the 2nd one ( C++ Primer).

The standard work is "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup who invented the language.
That's the one I recommend to start with.

"Object Oriented" comes later imo.
That's what you will need if you want to scale your work up.

I like Serena said:
The standard work is "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup who invented the language.

so this will be useful and effective for physicists

welatiger said:
so this will be useful and effective for physicists

Yes.

1. What is the purpose of "C++ for High Energy Physics: Reference and Textbook Guide"?

The purpose of this reference and textbook guide is to provide a comprehensive overview of C++ programming specifically tailored for high energy physics research. It covers the basics of the language as well as advanced concepts and techniques that are essential for working with large datasets and complex simulations.

2. Is prior programming experience required to understand this guide?

Yes, some prior programming experience is recommended. This guide assumes a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions. However, it also includes introductory chapters for those new to C++ and provides examples and exercises throughout the book to reinforce understanding.

3. How does this guide differ from other C++ textbooks?

This guide is specifically geared towards high energy physics research and uses real-world examples and applications to illustrate concepts. It also includes a detailed reference section for easy access to specific language features and techniques commonly used in the field.

4. Can this guide be used for self-study or is it best used in a classroom setting?

Both options are viable. This guide can certainly be used for self-study, as it includes exercises and solutions for practice. However, it can also be used in a classroom setting as a textbook or supplemental resource for teaching C++ in the context of high energy physics research.

5. What makes C++ a suitable language for high energy physics research?

C++ is a powerful and versatile programming language that allows for efficient manipulation of large datasets and complex simulations. It also has a strong emphasis on performance, making it a popular choice for scientific computing. Additionally, many existing software libraries and frameworks used in high energy physics are written in C++.