RAZY good QED: Top Textbooks for Independent Learning

In summary, The best textbooks for self-study of QED are the ones by Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields (Vol. I for the foundations, Vol. II for gauge theories and the standard model, Vol. III covers SUSY). However, for beginners, Ryder's book is more recommended. Peskin/Schroeder is also a good book but needs to be read carefully due to typos and misconceptions. Zee's QFT in a Nutshell is often praised for its intuitive explanations, but can be confusing at times. Other recommended books include "Quantum Field Theory" by Michio Kaku and "Quantum Field Theory" by Aitchison and Hey.
cabrera
Hi,

I am interested on learning QED on my own. I have a good background in QM. What are the best textbook that would you recommend?

C

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The best textbooks are the ones by Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields (Vol. I for the foundations, Vol. II for gauge theories and the standard model, Vol. III covers SUSY).

Perhaps, however, it's not the best book to begin with. For that purpose I'd recommend Ryder's book. Also Peskin/Schroeder is not too bad, but has to be read very carefully, because it's full of typos and unfortunately also there are misconceptions on some points (e.g., even in a chapter about renormalization-group issues occur logarithms with dimensionful quantities, which is quite ironic, isn't it?).

The only book, I must warn about is Zee's QFT in a Nutshell. Usually people get confused from it!

It is just curiosity, vanhees71, it seems that Zee's book is highly reviewed over the web. What is the problem with it? Iwas thought QM in a brutal way. It was basically the two Cohen-Tannoudji Volumes. Al lot of vector space and group theory applied to some particular cases: Hamitonlian with some type of potential or under some type of coordianes. I learned the algebra but I did not undrestand the physics. I was able to solve a second order pertubration problem given a potential, but I could not explain why the Heinserberg principle explains atom's stability.

It studied it 17 year ago. I am re-learning QM by myself. I hated QM when i studied it. I am learning to love it now..I woould like a textbook that focus on the physics and less in the algebra of group theory...maybe I am talking rubbish

I think Zees book often gives very intuitive explanations, that's a plus. Sometimes these explanations are not too good, (for example on vacuum fluctuations), so that's a minus. The math is explained in some detail, especially at the beginning, but I think that he is sometimes a bit sloppy.
So I would say yes, read it , but use other books as well. (My experience is that in QFT it is good to read several books in parallel.)
BTW, there are many threads here on what the best intro to QFT is...

OK, I'll search them

The only book, I must warn about is Zee's QFT in a Nutshell. Usually people get confused from it!
I would add to this, "Quantum Field Theory", by Michio Kaku. I don't know what ever possessed me. :yuck:

In my opinion the books by Aitchison and Hey

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1466513179/?tag=pfamazon01-20

are excellent for self-study of introductory quantum field theory. If you are not interested in going beyond an introduction to QED, the first volume will suffice. If you want to learn about QCD and electroweak theory, then also study the second volume.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is QED and why is it important?

QED stands for "quantum electrodynamics," and it is a fundamental theory in physics that describes the interactions between electrons and photons. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of these particles, and has been critical in the development of modern technologies such as transistors and lasers.

2. How can independent learning benefit from using QED textbooks?

Independent learning can benefit from using QED textbooks because they provide a comprehensive and structured approach to learning this complex theory. They often include step-by-step explanations, practice problems, and real-world applications that can facilitate understanding and retention of the material.

3. Are there any prerequisites for studying QED?

Yes, there are several prerequisites for studying QED, including a strong foundation in calculus, classical mechanics, and electromagnetism. A basic understanding of quantum mechanics and special relativity is also helpful. Some textbooks may also require prior knowledge of linear algebra and differential equations.

4. How can I determine if a QED textbook is suitable for my level of understanding?

One way to determine if a QED textbook is suitable for your level of understanding is to read reviews or ask for recommendations from other students or experts in the field. You can also preview the table of contents and sample chapters to get a sense of the level of difficulty and the topics covered.

5. Can QED textbooks be used as a reference in addition to learning?

Yes, QED textbooks can be used as a reference in addition to learning. They often include comprehensive indexes and appendices that make it easy to find specific information or equations. Many textbooks also have online resources such as practice problems and interactive simulations that can be used for review or further exploration of the concepts.