Biological Elements/Trace Elements

In summary: It is generally accepted that all elements up to atomic number 92 (Uranium) have some biological benefit, either as essential elements or as trace elements. Elements beyond this tend to have very short half-lives and are unlikely to be found in the body except in trace amounts if at all. So in summary, it is technically accurate to say that all elements, with the exception of the noble gases and synthetic elements, are present in the human body to some extent. This is due to the fact that atoms of all elements can be found in the environment and can therefore enter the body through various means. However, the presence of some elements, especially synthetic ones, may be at very low levels due to their short half-lives and limited natural
questar
I'm trying to determine the elements that are present in the human body. Online I'm finding inconsistent determinations. I'm reading that some lanthanoids are present, then on another site, none are present, though I see no reason that all lanthanoids would be present to some miniscule degree. The same with the actinoids, platinum group metals as well as the other extremely rare elements, Technetium, Rhenium, Astatine and Francium.

My question is, is it technically accurate to say that all elements, with the exception of the noble gases and the synthetics, are present in the human body? In other words, all elements that we are naturally exposed to (i.e. present in nature), are, to some limited extent, present in our bodies. This appears most accurate to me, what say you?

Biology news on Phys.org
questar said:
I'm trying to determine the elements that are present in the human body. Online I'm finding inconsistent determinations. I'm reading that some lanthanoids are present, then on another site, none are present, though I see no reason that all lanthanoids would be present to some miniscule degree. The same with the actinoids, platinum group metals as well as the other extremely rare elements, Technetium, Rhenium, Astatine and Francium.

My question is, is it technically accurate to say that all elements, with the exception of the noble gases and the synthetics, are present in the human body? In other words, all elements that we are naturally exposed to (i.e. present in nature), are, to some limited extent, present in our bodies. This appears most accurate to me, what say you?

I agree with you, only I would not exclude the noble gases and synthetic elements. I would say that there are atoms of every element in your body. Your body has on the order of 10^27 atoms in it, so even exceedingly rare atoms will be present at some level. The only exception would be elements with very short half lives. I'm sure even man-made elements like Neptunium and Plutonium are present in your body at some low level.

Something to keep in mind when thinking about rare elements/compounds and small quantities is that of the nature of measurement in determining these quantities. You can assume whatever you want but the fact is that measurements have limits to their sensitivity as well as error bars. There may very well be some small amount of something present but the methods applied may not have been sensitive enough to detect it or the contamination from the laboratory environment may have led to a greater amount of the substance than the actual sample. You are likely finding mixed results about rare elements because the quantities are so small that signal:noise makes a judgment hard to make, especially if the work was performed in varying environments, conditions, methodologies etc.

Likes 1 person
phyzguy said:
I agree with you, only I would not exclude the noble gases and synthetic elements... I'm sure even man-made elements like Neptunium and Plutonium are present in your body at some low level.

It's my understanding that all elements/atomic numbers 1-98 are naturally occurring, albeit some only in minute amounts. Therefore it seems reasonable to me that all these elements, including as you pointed out, the noble gases, could be found in "metaminute" amounts within the human body. However, synthetic elements are not naturally occurring- so I'm at a loss as to how they could be found in the environment, let alone the body.

Just to note that when I say natural, I mean terrestrial... perhaps there is an atmosphere composed entirely of ununoctium in the Andromeda galaxy, but we seem to be far removed from its physical presence.

questar said:
However, synthetic elements are not naturally occurring- so I'm at a loss as to how they could be found in the environment, let alone the body.
Nuclear explosions released elements beyond plutonium in the multi-kilogram-range. If you distribute 1kg evenly in the biosphere, your body will have some atoms. This even distribution is not real, of course, but a few atoms are really reasonable.

Just to note that when I say natural, I mean terrestrial... perhaps there is an atmosphere composed entirely of ununoctium in the Andromeda galaxy, but we seem to be far removed from its physical presence.
Spectroscopy shows other stars and other objects have chemical compositions similar to our solar system.

mfb said:
Nuclear explosions released elements beyond plutonium in the multi-kilogram-range. If you distribute 1kg evenly in the biosphere, your body will have some atoms. This even distribution is not real, of course, but a few atoms are really reasonable.

Right. This Wikipedia page shows that there have been over 2000 documented nuclear explosions on the Earth. As mfb points out the products of these explosions have been scattered through the biosphere. Short half-life nuclei will have decayed, but long half-life elements, including elements like Neptunium, Plutonium, Californium, etc. will still be around.

phyzguy said:
...Short half-life nuclei will have decayed, but long half-life elements, including elements like Neptunium, Plutonium, Californium, etc. will still be around.

So basically all of the elements that can be found in the body are the same as those that can be found in the environment that the body inhabits. The synthetic elements are unlikely to be found in the body for the same reason that they are unlikely to be found in the environment- and that reason is that they have decayed.

Hydrogen...Californium=likely present in the human body

Einsteinium...Ununoctium= not likely present in the human body
(though if any atoms remain it would be the result of nuclear testing)

Last edited:
In regards to biological benefits, I believe this outline is fairly accurate. It begins with the elements of greatest mass, then the lesser essentials, then on to those that are suspected of being lesser essentials, and finally those with unknown benefits in what remains of the indigenous and the 20 synthetic elements.

I'm obviously new at this, but I find it interesting that most all of the confirmed biologically beneficial elements are those with an atomic number ranging from 1-30 with very few exceptions- the three noble gases... and Beryllium alone. They say Hydrogen is the individualistic element, but it seems from an biological standpoint, Beryllium is the odd man out.

I. ELEMENTS [118]
1. Essential [19]
a. Greater [5]
8 Oxygen O
6 Carbon C
1 Hydrogen H
7 Nitrogen N
20 Calcium Ca
b. Lesser (Traces) [14]
15 Phosphorous P
19 Potassium K
16 Sulfur S
11 Sodium Na
17 Chlorine Cl
12 Magnesium Mg
26 Iron Fe
9 Fluorine F
30 Zinc Zn
29 Copper Cu
34 Selenium Se
25 Manganese Mn
53 Iodine I
27 Cobalt Co
2. Potential Essential [18]
a. Lesser (Traces) [18]
3 Lithium Li
5 Boron B
13 Aluminum Al
14 Silicon Si
21 Scandium Sc
22 Titanium Ti
23 Vanadium V
24 Chromium Cr
28 Nickel Ni
31 Gallium Ga
32 Germanium Ge
33 Arsenic As
35 Bromine Br
37 Rubidium Rb
38 Strontium Sr
42 Molybdenum Mo
48 Cadmium Cd
50 Tin Sn
3. Unknown Potential [81]
a. Indigenous [61]
b. Synthetic [20]

I think the point you need to consider is the abundance of the different elements. Look at the abundance graph at this Wikipedia page. Beryllium is more than a million times rarer than elements like carbon, oxygen, or nitrogen. Given this, I would not expect life to evolve a dependency on beryllium. Life that was dependent on such a rare substance would be at a real disadvantage compared to life that was only dependent on more common elements.

Likes 1 person
phyzguy said:
...Beryllium is more than a million times rarer than elements like carbon, oxygen, or nitrogen. Given this, I would not expect life to evolve a dependency on beryllium. Life that was dependent on such a rare substance would be at a real disadvantage compared to life that was only dependent on more common elements.

It is true that beryllium is much less abundant than carbon, oxygen and nitrogen... but what about the essential trace elements? Beryllium is just as abundant as cobalt and copper, and more abundant than both iodine and selenium. All four are considered essential elements, all four are more rare than beryllium, yet human life evolved a dependancy on all four of them. There are also other elements that are suspected of being necessary- many of which are also less abundant than beryllium.

The distribution and the chemical properties also matter. Something that accumulates in very few places, with chemically inert molecules and without an unreplaceable role in some molecule won't become an essential element.

Likes 1 person

What are biological elements/trace elements?

Biological elements, also known as trace elements, are essential minerals and chemical compounds that are necessary for the growth and development of living organisms. These elements are found in small quantities in the body but play a crucial role in various biological processes.

What are some examples of biological elements/trace elements?

Some examples of biological elements/trace elements include iron, zinc, copper, selenium, and iodine. These elements are important for maintaining proper functioning of the body, such as carrying oxygen in the blood, aiding in enzyme reactions, and regulating hormone production.

Why are biological elements/trace elements important?

Biological elements/trace elements are important because they are involved in a wide range of physiological processes in the body. They help with the formation of bones, teeth, and red blood cells, as well as the maintenance of a healthy immune system and metabolism. Deficiencies in these elements can lead to various health problems.

How do we obtain biological elements/trace elements?

We obtain biological elements/trace elements through our diet. These elements are found in various foods, including fruits, vegetables, meat, seafood, and dairy products. Consuming a well-balanced and diverse diet is important for ensuring an adequate intake of these elements.

What happens if we have a deficiency or excess of biological elements/trace elements?

If we have a deficiency of biological elements/trace elements, it can lead to various health problems, such as anemia, weakened immune system, and bone disorders. On the other hand, excess intake of certain elements, such as iron and copper, can be toxic to the body and cause serious health issues. It is important to maintain a balanced intake of these elements to avoid any deficiencies or excesses.