Alien Hand Syndrome: Causes & Symptoms

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Alien
In summary, this video shows a dog trying to eat its own tail and behaving in a way similar to people with Alien Hand Syndrome.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Many here may have heard of Alien Hand Syndrome
Alien hand syndrome: The feeling that one's hand is possessed by a force outside of ones control. The syndrome typically arises after trauma to the brain, after brain surgery or after a stroke or an infection of the brain. A person with the alien hand syndrome can feel sensation in the affected hand but thinks that the hand is not part of their body and that they have no control over its movement, that it belongs to an alien. [continued]
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=12655

Could this be an example of Alien Paw Syndrome? :biggrin:
[edit by Ivan: link deleted. See post #16]

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
OMG, that was too funny, well maybe not to the dog. I will half to defer this to Moonbear.
It made me wonder if, it was so food aggressive, that even its own paw was a threat.
I did have a dog, years back that was always suprised by her tail, the darn tail followed her where ever it went, much to her dismay.

I did have a dog, years back that was always suprised by her tail, the darn tail followed her where ever it went, much to her dismay.

My brother's kitten keeps trying to eat its own tail, and then acts surprised when it gets bitten.

The video isn't in a format I can view. If you tell me what it shows, I might be able to comment.

The dog is on a sofa chewing a bone. His hind leg moves up to the bone, and the dog starts Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr GrrrrRRRRRrrrrrr like his back paw is going to take the bone from him. Like he does not view it as his own, or has no control of its attempt to take his bone.

and this goes on for some time...

I just watched it again. He actually bites his foot and holds it in his mouth, apparently to make it stop moving on his bone. I have heard of people with AHS getting in a fight with their own hand. :eek: This video looks much like what I've heard described.

I wonder if the dog thinks his paw is possessed by an alien dog?

I am sure that's what he thinks. Dogs know and fully understand that, aliens do not wish to take control of the world. They infact just want the worlds supply of bones, treats and kibbles!

All joking aside, if this syndrome has never been observed in dogs, this video may be of interest to some people. It sure looks like the behavior commonly described wrt AHS in people. In either case it seemed worth a post. :biggrin:

Very strange. Any scientific explanations?

Ivan Seeking said:
I just watched it again. He actually bites his foot and holds it in his mouth, apparently to make it stop moving on his bone. I have heard of people with AHS getting in a fight with their own hand. :eek: This video looks much like what I've heard described.
Odd. I've tricked dogs into biting their own tails when they had long tails and I tickled their nose with their tail instead of a toy (my parents had a knack for buying dumb dogs), but as soon as they grabbed their tail and realized it was theirs, they let go again. I attributed it more to them focusing on playing and not on where their tail was going.

Some dogs also chew on their feet...looks like a nervous habit when they do it, but can be a sign of allergies (itching) too. But without seeing the video, I really can't say if it's any of those cases.

Moonbear said:
Odd. I've tricked dogs into biting their own tails when they had long tails and I tickled their nose with their tail instead of a toy (my parents had a knack for buying dumb dogs), but as soon as they grabbed their tail and realized it was theirs, they let go again. I attributed it more to them focusing on playing and not on where their tail was going.
I loved making my cat bite her tail that way...

Moonbear said:

Some dogs also chew on their feet...looks like a nervous habit when they do it, but can be a sign of allergies (itching) too. But without seeing the video, I really can't say if it's any of those cases.

I checked but couldn't find this in a .mov format. :grumpy: You really should try to view this on another computer. It is as funny as it is strange.

Ivan Seeking said:
I checked but couldn't find this in a .mov format. :grumpy: You really should try to view this on another computer. It is as funny as it is strange.
Sorry, all of my computers (at least the functional ones) are Macs, so it probably won't run on any of them if it won't run on this one (this one is most up-to-date). When I move to WV, they use PCs, so maybe next month some time I'll get to see it.

This was making the rounds on the internet in a different format, so it seemed worth a bit of necroposting.
http://www.stupidity.com/play-6115-Dog_Attacks_Own_Leg_Over_Bone.html

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Alien Hand Syndrome?

Alien Hand Syndrome (AHS) is a neurological disorder characterized by involuntary and purposeful movements of one hand, usually the non-dominant hand, that the individual cannot control or is not aware of.

What causes Alien Hand Syndrome?

The exact cause of AHS is unknown, but it is believed to be due to damage or dysfunction in the corpus callosum, the part of the brain responsible for communication between the two hemispheres. It can also be caused by brain injuries, infections, tumors, or degenerative diseases.

What are the symptoms of Alien Hand Syndrome?

The main symptom of AHS is the hand acting independently from the person's intentions and movements. This can include involuntary grasping, groping, or manipulating objects without the person's control. In some cases, the hand may even resist the person's attempts to control it.

Is there a cure for Alien Hand Syndrome?

There is currently no known cure for AHS, but treatment options include medications to help control the hand movements and occupational therapy to help the individual learn to live with the condition.

Can Alien Hand Syndrome be prevented?

Since the exact cause of AHS is unknown, there are no specific ways to prevent it. However, taking precautions to prevent brain injuries or diseases, such as wearing helmets during sports and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, may reduce the risk of developing AHS.