Calculate the tension in the rope

In summary, the gymnast has a mass of 36.7 kg, and the angle θ = 4.0°. The tension in the rope from which she is hanging is 2578 N.
MathewsMD
If the gymnast has a mass, m = 36.7 kg, and the angle θ = 4.0°, calculate the tension in the rope from which she is hanging.

XKiKv5l.png

ƩFx = T1x - T2x = 0
Then T1cos4 = T2cos4
T1 = T2 = T

ƩFy = 2Ty - mg
2Tsin4 = mg
T = mg/2sin4 = 2578 N

I have gotten the solution. I am just confused at one part. Do we analyze the tension in the string on each side of the gymnast separately, then add them together? Or, do we just find the tension on one side and that is it (like my solution)?

I am just confused since I remember learning tension in a massless rope is considered to be uniform, but if there is a force being applied to a part of it (this time in the middle) I don't know if we're supposed to analyze tension together or not since it is essentially a node and I considered it like I would two separate strings in my solution.

Also, if the gymnast was not in the middle of the string (i.e. θ1 = 6.0° and θ2 = 10.0°) how would this change the situation and the resultant tension in the rope. Would it have any effect?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right to treat it as two separate strings, for exactly the reason that you said: you can treat any point in the rope as a node and require that the forces on it all cancel (as long as the rope isn't accelerating, of course).

If you change the angles, then it becomes even more important to think about it this way, because in general the tension in the two sides will be different. That sounds like a violation of the rule that the tension is uniform throughout the rope, but it's not. The only way of getting different angles is to physically hook the gymnast to a particular point on the rope, and then you really have two separate ropes connected to the eye of the hook, each with their own tension.

(If you don't have that fixed hook, the gymnast's attachment point will slide down the rope until we reach equilibrium with the tensions and angles equal).

Likes 1 person
Nugatory said:
You are right to treat it as two separate strings, for exactly the reason that you said: you can treat any point in the rope as a node and require that the forces on it all cancel (as long as the rope isn't accelerating, of course).

If you change the angles, then it becomes even more important to think about it this way, because in general the tension in the two sides will be different. That sounds like a violation of the rule that the tension is uniform throughout the rope, but it's not. The only way of getting different angles is to physically hook the gymnast to a particular point on the rope, and then you really have two separate ropes connected to the eye of the hook, each with their own tension.

(If you don't have that fixed hook, the gymnast's attachment point will slide down the rope until we reach equilibrium with the tensions and angles equal).

Thank you!

1. What is the formula for calculating tension in a rope?

The formula for calculating tension in a rope is T = mg + ma, where T is tension, m is the mass of the object attached to the rope, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object.

2. How do you determine the mass of the object in the tension calculation?

The mass of the object in the tension calculation can be determined by using a scale or by measuring the weight of the object in kilograms.

3. Can the tension in a rope be negative?

No, the tension in a rope cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the force pulling in opposite directions on each end of the rope.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a rope?

The tension in a rope can be affected by the mass of the object attached to it, the angle at which the rope is pulled, and the acceleration of the object.

5. How does the tension in a rope change if the angle of pull is increased?

If the angle of pull is increased, the tension in the rope will also increase. This is because the force acting on the rope is now being applied at a steeper angle, requiring more force to maintain the same level of tension.