A problem concerning logic

• Thread starter TheNaturalStep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the conversation discusses different results obtained when solving the statement "pvq->r" as (pVq)->r or pV(q->r). The picture attached illustrates the process of solving and the importance of using parentheses in symbolic logic.
TheNaturalStep
Sorry if my title wasn't the best, dosen't know the english termonolgy

Anyway i get diffrent result based on how i solve "pvq->r" the result vary if i solve this as (pVq)->r or pV(q->r).

You can see me trying to solve this in the picture which i have attaced, below

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2387/dscf0462ho0.jpg

Thank you for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheNaturalStep said:
Sorry if my title wasn't the best, dosen't know the english termonolgy

Anyway i get diffrent result based on how i solve "pvq->r" the result vary if i solve this as (pVq)->r or pV(q->r).

You can see me trying to solve this in the picture which i have attaced, below

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/2387/dscf0462ho0.jpg

Thank you for your time
Yes, you should- those have different meanings: (pvq)-> r means "if either p or q is true, then r is true." pv(q->r) means "either p is true or if q is true then r is true". The "precedence" rules for symbolic logic say that "and", v, takes precedence of "implication, ->, just as in arithmetic multiplication takes precedence of over multiplication takes precedence over addition: ab+ c means (ab)+ c. pvq->r, without parentheses, means (pvq)-> r.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is "A problem concerning logic"?

"A problem concerning logic" refers to a specific issue or puzzle within the field of logic. This could involve examining the validity of an argument, analyzing the structure of a statement, or exploring the principles of reasoning.

2. Why is logic important in science?

Logic is essential in science because it provides a systematic and rational approach to understanding the natural world. It allows scientists to make logical deductions, form hypotheses, and draw conclusions based on evidence and reasoning.

3. How does logic relate to critical thinking?

Logic is a fundamental aspect of critical thinking. It involves analyzing and evaluating arguments and evidence to determine their validity and soundness. By applying logical principles, critical thinkers can identify flaws in reasoning and make well-informed decisions.

4. What are some common types of logical fallacies?

Some common types of logical fallacies include ad hominem attacks, false dilemmas, and circular reasoning. Other examples include hasty generalizations, appeal to authority, and straw man arguments.

5. Can logic be applied to everyday life?

Yes, logic can be applied to everyday life. It can help us make better decisions, solve problems, and communicate effectively. By using logical reasoning, we can avoid common mistakes in thinking and approach situations more logically and critically.