Special relativity time dilation question

In summary, the Pythagorean theorem can be applied to triangles that have timelike sides, but the value of the distance in time between two points in a given triangle can be different depending on the triangle's orientation.
astrobird
Out of interest I'm studying a book "A first course in general relativity" which is a great book in my opinion because it explains the subject very well. I'm a beginner though and I have a hard time understanding one particular thing mentioned quite early in the book. I'm attaching a scan of a small part of the text. I understand this part fine except for one thing. On the second page I'm attaching it says "A simple calculation shows this to be at t=sqrt((1-v²))".

I don't understand how they arrive at this. Would someone be able to provide an explanation or some hints so that I will hopefully get it? It must be something pretty obvious because they say its simple but I just don't understand it at the moment.

Thanks!

Attachments

• p19.jpg
    p19.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 518
  • p20.jpg
    p20.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
Seriously? You want people to read something you've posted SIDEWAYS?

Oops sorry! I hope this is better?

Attachments

• p19a.jpg
    p19a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 526
  • p20a.jpg
    p20a.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 530
You need to apply the Pythagorus theorem to the triangle.

Thanks, I considered this before already but I still cannot figure it out. Perhaps you can indicate how I obtain the values of the sides of the relevant triangle?

Jilang said:
You need to apply the Pythagorus theorem to the triangle.

Be careful. In spacetime, the ordinary Pythagorean theorem doesn't work with triangles that have timelike sides. For example, the distance AB in the diagram on the second page that the OP posted is 1; the distance AC is ##t## (the elapsed time along O's worldline), and the distance BC is ##x = vt## (the distance an object moving at speed ##v## with respect to O travels in time ##t##). If you look at the text, you will see that it says the distance AC is ##t = 1 / \sqrt{1 - v^2}##; in other words, the "hypotenuse" of the triange, AB, is *shorter* than one of its "legs", AC.

The correct formula, as you can see if you work it out for the distances I gave above, is ##t^2 - x^2 = 1##, where ##t## is the distance AC, ##x## is the distance BC, and ##1## is the distance AB. This is similar to the ordinary Pythagorean theorem, but it has an all-important sign change.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot for the further input and explanation. That helps but I still don't understand how they arrive at the value for t at event E. Can you show me how that should follow from your reasoning above?

Anyone that can help? Still hoping for an answer:)
Thanks!

astrobird said:
Anyone that can help? Still hoping for an answer:)
Thanks!

What triangles in the figure *can* you apply the theorem to? What distances *can* you calculate?

1. What is special relativity time dilation?

Special relativity time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time appears to run slower for objects in motion compared to objects at rest. This is due to the fact that space and time are intertwined, and the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. How does special relativity time dilation work?

According to Einstein's theory, time dilation occurs because the faster an object moves, the more it warps the fabric of spacetime. This results in time appearing to slow down for the moving object, as observed by an outside observer.

3. What is the equation for calculating time dilation in special relativity?

The equation for calculating time dilation in special relativity is t = t0 / √(1 - v2/c2), where t is the time measured by the moving object, t0 is the time measured by the stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

4. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed in many experiments and is a crucial factor in our understanding of the universe. For example, the Global Positioning System (GPS) must take into account the effects of time dilation in order to function accurately.

5. What are some real-world applications of special relativity time dilation?

Apart from being a fundamental aspect of understanding the universe, special relativity time dilation also has practical applications in fields such as space travel, GPS technology, and particle accelerators. It also plays a role in understanding the concept of black holes and their effects on time and space.