Help on Photoelectric Effect problem

In summary, a beam of light of wavelength 400nm and power 1.55mW is directed at the cathode of a photoelectric cell. If only 10% of the incident photons effectively produce photoelectrons, find the current due to these electrons. If the wavelength of light is now reduced to 200nm, keeping the power same, the kinetic energy of the electrons is found to increase by a factor of 5. What are the values of the stopping potentials for the two wavelengths?
Reshma
Help on "Photoelectric Effect" problem

a] A beam of light of wavelength 400nm and power 1.55mW is directed at the cathode of a photoelectric cell. If only 10% of the incident photons effectively produce photoelectrons, find the current due to these electrons.

b]If the wavelength of light is now reduced to 200nm, keeping the power same, the kinetic energy of the electrons is found to increase by a factor of 5. What are the values of the stopping potentials for the two wavelengths?

My Work:

a]Given the wavelength of incident light I calculated the incident energy as [itex]h\nu = h{c\over \lambda} = 3.1 eV[/itex]
The doubt in my mind is over the term "effective". If 10% of the incident photons is utilized for producing photoelectrons, then it should be equal to the Kinetic energy of the electrons (KE). Hence, [itex]KE = 0.1 h\nu[/itex] in eV.
Power = Voltage x Current
Current(I) = 1.55mW/0.31V

Please correct me if I am wrong.

b] The stopping potential [itex]V_s[/itex] is related to the kinetic energy by [itex]KE_{max} = eV_s[/itex] and we have the relationship:
[tex]{h\over e} = \frac{V_{S2} - V_{S1}}{\nu_2 - \nu_1}[/tex]
I am a little confused over whether I should use this relation or simply add 5 to the KE determined from the previous exercise and divide it by e to obtain the stopping potential.

Physics news on Phys.org
Reshma said:
a] A beam of light of wavelength 400nm and power 1.55mW is directed at the cathode of a photoelectric cell. If only 10% of the incident photons effectively produce photoelectrons, find the current due to these electrons.

b]If the wavelength of light is now reduced to 200nm, keeping the power same, the kinetic energy of the electrons is found to increase by a factor of 5. What are the values of the stopping potentials for the two wavelengths?

My Work:

a]Given the wavelength of incident light I calculated the incident energy as [itex]h\nu = h{c\over \lambda} = 3.1 eV[/itex]
The doubt in my mind is over the term "effective". If 10% of the incident photons is utilized for producing photoelectrons, then it should be equal to the Kinetic energy of the electrons (KE). Hence, [itex]KE = 0.1 h\nu[/itex] in eV.
Power = Voltage x Current
Current(I) = 1.55mW/0.31V

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, this not correct.

You have the incident power and the energy of each photon. From this, you can calculate the incident photon rate striking the metal. Assuming 10% of the photons incident on the metal produce photoelectrons, you can find the rate of electron emission, and hence the current produced.

b] The stopping potential [itex]V_s[/itex] is related to the kinetic energy by [itex]KE_{max} = eV_s[/itex] and we have the relationship:
[tex]{h\over e} = \frac{V_{S2} - V_{S1}}{\nu_2 - \nu_1}[/tex]
I am a little confused over whether I should use this relation or simply add 5 to the KE determined from the previous exercise and divide it by e to obtain the stopping potential.
Write down the complete equation for the PE effect (twice - once for 400nm and again for 200nm). Use the fact that the KE in the second case is 5 times the KE in the first case.

Gokul43201 said:
Yes, this not correct.

You have the incident power and the energy of each photon. From this, you can calculate the incident photon rate striking the metal. Assuming 10% of the photons incident on the metal produce photoelectrons, you can find the rate of electron emission, and hence the current produced.
The incident Power is 1.55mW and energy of each photon (400nm wavelength) is 3.1eV. What is the incident photon rate? Isn't that equal to the power?
Write down the complete equation for the PE effect (twice - once for 400nm and again for 200nm). Use the fact that the KE in the second case is 5 times the KE in the first case.
Thanks, I got this! It was just a matter of rearranging the terms. :biggrin:

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation, such as light. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when photons, or particles of light, strike a material and transfer their energy to electrons in the material. If the energy of the photon is high enough, it can knock an electron out of the material, causing it to be emitted.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle-like nature of light and helped to further develop the quantum theory of light. It also has practical applications in technologies such as solar cells and photoelectric sensors.

4. What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect can be influenced by several factors, including the intensity and frequency of the incident light, the properties of the material being used, and the work function of the material (the minimum energy required to remove an electron from the material).

5. How is the photoelectric effect used in real-world applications?

The photoelectric effect has many practical applications, including solar panels, which use the photoelectric effect to convert sunlight into electricity. It is also used in photocells and photomultiplier tubes, which are used in light detection and amplification. Additionally, the photoelectric effect is utilized in cameras, photocopiers, and digital imaging devices.