How to Get Good Value on Earrings Up to £50

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary: I don't know. Maybe it's because she has a bad eye for jewelery, or maybe it's because she has a bad eye for anything.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
To me it all looks the same 10 pence worth of metal and a few shiny stones cobbled together and sold to mugs like me for a 1000% profit. the thing is i have to buy some ear rings for a present and i plan on spending up to £50 ,so how do you know if you are getting good value?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buy from an online jewelry store, like bluenile.com. It has a good reputation with good prices.

wolram said:
To me it all looks the same 10 pence worth of metal and a few shiny stones cobbled together and sold to mugs like me for a 1000% profit. the thing is i have to buy some ear rings for a present and i plan on spending up to £50 ,so how do you know if you are getting good value?
Go to a reputable jeweler that you trust. Ask for the color and clarity, white as possible and SI1 or SI2 (Si slightly included) should be what you're looking for at that price for a small diamond. Ask to look through the jeweler's loop, if you see any black spots that is carbon and it lowers the price. Also fractures are bad, they lower the price. A good symetrical cut is desirable. The diamond should be clear not milky or cloudy.

Evo said:
Go to a reputable jeweler that you trust. Ask for the color and clarity, white as possible and SI1 or SI2 (Si slightly included) should be what you're looking for at that price for a small diamond. Ask to look through the jeweler's loop, if you see any black spots that is carbon and it lowers the price. Also fractures are bad, they lower the price. A good symetrical cut is desirable. The diamond should be clear not milky or cloudy.

The time i visit a jeweler will be the first, this is the worst sort of present for me to select, hopeless is putting it mildly, thanks for the diamond advice.

Unfortunately, fifty pounds won't give you two real diamonds that are visible to the naked eye. Or if they are then so will the big chunks of black coal inside (women see these subtle things that we guys don't). You may have to settle for cubic zirconia, but this could leave an impression of "fake" jewelry. In your situation I would go for semi-precious stones instead, perhaps her birthstone. These will be real gems, certainly pretty, and the personal touch of actually knowing her date of birth will earn you romantic points (and if you know her name then try to fit that in as well). Save your diamond fund for a more significant event.

Even some birthstones will be problematic in that price range, unless you are willing to compromise on quality. Here in the US, for that price range, you will get inky-murky dark sapphires, pale pink rubies, or fractured and heavily oiled emeralds with no shine. High-quality rubies and emeralds command higher prices than diamonds simply because they are much rarer.

I don't know if these folks ship internationally, but they have a great assortment of silver-mounted jewelry featuring semi-precious stones.
http://www.blackstarjewelry.com/

wolram said:
I don't know what that is in real money, but it sounds like more than 1000% to me. I promised my wife that for our 100th wedding anniversary I was considering getting her a diamond and a microscope. She told me that on our next anniversary I was considering getting her a diamond and a wheelbarrow. When you spend more than a few hundred dollars US on a diamond, the issue of value comes up because the thing has resale value. Below that, there isn't much resale value regardless of the quality. For your price range, I would say the value is in how much it pleases the recipient, not the monetary value.

wolram said:
£50 ,so how do you know if you are getting good value?

For fitty pounds, you won't find anything other than glass. They like to use the term "crystal" but that's just a fancy way of saying glass.

Take a bunch of jewelry that is in your price range, put them all together, and pick the one that sparkles the most. It might also be a good idea to take a woman along, preferably somebody who is part of the same generation as your girlfriend (boyfriend?), to help you pick the best one. Don't bring your mother for this job; she will pick the ugliest thing ever and not even realize it.

2 words:

Elizabeth. Duke.

:wink:

Just buy gold earings. (I don't know whay I was thinking diamonds). Look at her style and buy something similar. The gold is stamped, get at least 14 carat gold and go to a reputable place.

ShawnD said:
For fitty pounds, you won't find anything other than glass. They like to use the term "crystal" but that's just a fancy way of saying glass.

Take a bunch of jewelry that is in your price range, put them all together, and pick the one that sparkles the most. It might also be a good idea to take a woman along, preferably somebody who is part of the same generation as your girlfriend (boyfriend?), to help you pick the best one. Don't bring your mother for this job; she will pick the ugliest thing ever and not even realize it.

They are for my mom ROLF.

Good advice ShawnD!

For your mom? Might I suggest a pair of opal stud earrings? They are modest, colorful, though not flashy, and they go well with lots of outfits. If she's got a pearl necklace and really wants to dress up, the opals will coordinate with the pearls (white base color) and accent them with the opalescent colors.

turbo-1 said:
For your mom? Might I suggest a pair of opal stud earrings? They are modest, colorful, though not flashy, and they go well with lots of outfits. If she's got a pearl necklace and really wants to dress up, the opals will coordinate with the pearls (white base color) and accent them with the opalescent colors.
I love opals, but they break without proper care, like pearls you have to be careful not to get perfume or hairspray on them. I"ve given up on regular opals and gone with Australian black opals. BLING!

http://www.australianblackopals.com/images/frontnew1.jpg

You can get mosaic black opal jewelry set in silver for nothing and they are quite beautiful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
I love opals, but they break without proper care, like pearls you have to be careful not to get perfume or hairspray on them. I"ve given up on regular opals and gone with Australian black opals. BLING!

http://www.australianblackopals.com/images/frontnew1.jpg

You can get mosaic black opal jewelry set in silver for nothing and they are quite beautiful.
Like pearls, opals benefit from regular handling/wearing (skin oils) and yes, they should be the last touch after dressing up (after cosmetics, hair spray, etc) and the first jewelry to be removed and stored upon returning home. Pearls and opals benefit from skin contact and warmth and stay lustrous when they are worn regularly.

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo-1 said:
Like pearls, opals benefit from regular handling/wearing (skin oils) and yes, they should be the last touch after dressing up (after cosmetics, hair spray, etc) and the first jewelry to be removed and stored upon returning home. Pearls and opals benefit from skin contact and warmth and stay lustrous when they are worn regularly.

I never knew that about opals. I had only ever been told that about pearls. I have quite a few opals, because it's my birth stone, but also a very pretty stone that I just enjoy. I guess it was never an issue since they're my favorites, so get worn the most of out all the jewelry I have, so get the oils on them anyway. I rarely wear hairspray, and never wear perfume, so I guess I got lucky taking care of them by accident. All my opals were bought for me when I was in my pre-teen/teen years, when my parents decided I was old enough to take care of some nicer jewelry, except for a ring that I inherited from my great aunt...it's opal and coral and I just love the color combination and setting (she had loaned it to me to match an Easter outfit I wore one year as a kid along with a necklace I also inherited, and I loved it then, so I think that's what inspired her to leave them as a gift to me...I was surprised when she passed to get them, and hadn't realized she remembered loaning those to me all those years ago).

Opals are quite delicate, after replacing the opal in a diamond ring I had for the 3rd time, (the opal was surrounded by a ring of diamonds, pretty, but stupid, I could never get the diamonds clean because of the damage jewelry cleaners would do to the opal) I had it replaced with a cheap garnet. I love rhodolite garnet.

Evo said:
Opals are quite delicate, after replacing the opal in a diamond ring I had for the 3rd time, (the opal was surrounded by a ring of diamonds, pretty, but stupid, I could never get the diamonds clean because of the damage jewelry cleaners would do to the opal) I had it replaced with a cheap garnet. I love rhodolite garnet.

That's what you get for ruining a perfectly good opal ring with diamonds. :biggrin: I did know you need a special jewelry cleaner for opals, that the regular ones would ruin them. I've always preferred stones over gems though. Opal, onyx, turquoise, coral (okay, not really a stone). I'm not too fond of regular pearls, but I like freshwater pearls. To me, those are all very pretty, and won't break the bank. Wollie might want to look into those as options for his mom.

Evo said:
I also love lapis lazuli, I have a handmade silver torque inset with a large oval lapis in the middle. One of my favorite pieces.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/diamond/gp09lapislazuli.html

Oh, lapis is gorgeous too! I just love that shade of blue. I always enjoy looking at the lapis jewelry in the Egyptian exhibits at museums.

There are other lovely stones suitable for jewelry, including moonstone, labradorite, moss agate, and others that I have polished and mounted.

turbo-1 said:
There are other lovely stones suitable for jewelry, including moonstone, labradorite, moss agate, and others that I have polished and mounted.
I had a HUGE gorgeous moss agate pendant that was lost years ago. :cry: I also have moonstone. My mother used to tumble her own stones and make jewelry just for fun, so I got to go to a lot of gem shows. Then when I lived in Chicago, I went to work for a jewelry brokerage company that would buy out bankrupt jewelry stores and would scour estate sales for unique jewelry, they encouraged me to get my gemologist degree, which I never finished, but loved. I also became an indentured servant at that time, but I have some incredible pieces I picked up for a song.

I think it best if i give up on this idea, it is like asking a carpenter to make horse shoes.

1. How can I determine the quality of earrings under £50?

When looking for good value on earrings under £50, it is important to pay attention to the materials used. Look for earrings made with high-quality metals such as sterling silver or gold-plated options. Additionally, check for any gemstones or beads used and make sure they are securely attached. Finally, consider the craftsmanship of the earrings and look for any flaws or imperfections.

2. Are there any specific brands that offer good value on earrings under £50?

Yes, there are many brands that offer good value on earrings under £50. Some popular options include Kate Spade, BaubleBar, and Anthropologie. However, it is also important to do your own research and read reviews from other customers to ensure the quality and value of the earrings.

3. What styles of earrings are best for getting good value under £50?

When looking for good value on earrings under £50, it is best to stick with classic and timeless styles such as stud earrings, hoop earrings, or simple drop earrings. These styles are versatile and can be worn with a variety of outfits, making them a great value for your money.

4. Can I find real gemstone earrings for under £50?

Yes, it is possible to find real gemstone earrings for under £50. Look for earrings made with smaller, more affordable gemstones such as amethyst, citrine, or peridot. You can also opt for earrings that use lab-created gemstones, which often offer the same beauty and durability at a lower cost.

5. How can I make sure I am getting the best deal on earrings under £50?

To ensure you are getting the best value for your money, compare prices from different retailers and brands. You can also wait for sales or look for discount codes to lower the price even further. Additionally, consider the overall quality and design of the earrings to make sure they are worth the price.