Designing a parachute system/device

In summary: In this scenario, the 'dead man switch' would be the relay. You would need one transmitter and one receiver, and the receiver would need to be plugged into the circuit that activates the servo.
Panic Attack
I am trying to build a system to activate a servo at a unspecified point in time when a machine and remote looses their signal between another. When the signal is lost between the two, the new system must activate a servo. We are using radio transmitters, but I can't figure out how to tackle this problem. Any assistance would be LOVED!

The biggest problem I am having is how to link these three things together. I was thinking about using a sensor that monitors the 2-way signal between machine and remote with a LED, then the LED turns on or maybe stops the LED when the signal is lost, then activates the actuator... i don't know...

can i build a sensor that does this?

Should I buy transmiter and put it on the plane and connect the reciever to a circuit that activates the servo? I am trying to make this happen without me doing it manually. Does this make any sense? This project uses mechanical and electrical engineering components and I design it

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would think that a 'dead man switch' would be appropriate. Can you just dedicate one channel to a continuous broadcast that orders a relay to remain open? When the signal is lost, the relay should energize and trigger your 'chute system.

edit: I guess that I mean 'de-energize'. I was thinking of the secondary rather than primary circuit.

edit #2: I just noticed that you also have this posted in 'Mechanical Engineering', and Topher gave you a great response.

Last edited:
Danger said:
I would think that a 'dead man switch' would be appropriate. Can you just dedicate one channel to a continuous broadcast that orders a relay to remain open? When the signal is lost, the relay should energize and trigger your 'chute system.

edit: I guess that I mean 'de-energize'. I was thinking of the secondary rather than primary circuit.

edit #2: I just noticed that you also have this posted in 'Mechanical Engineering', and Topher gave you a great response.

THis will be another component I will do intensive research. A "dead-man switch" sounds like what I am looking for. I think we have an extra channel that sends a relay. I am curious, does the "dead man's switch" do all of this or do I need multiple connections and receivers/transmitters... lol basically, what hardware do I need to bring this to life...

I FORGOT TO THANK YOU! BECAUSE THIS HELP IS SINCERELY APPRECIATED

A dead man switch simply means any type of device that requires some sort of effort (be it mechanical or electric or other) to STOP an action (such as closing a circuit) from occurring. If the (mechanical or electric or other) effort ceases, the switch closes.

1. How do you determine the appropriate size of a parachute for a specific weight?

The size of a parachute is determined by the weight of the object it needs to support. This is calculated using the formula: weight (lbs) / descent rate (ft/s) = surface area (ft²). The descent rate is dependent on the type of parachute being used and can be found in reference tables.

2. What materials are commonly used in parachute design?

Parachutes are typically made from lightweight, strong and durable materials such as nylon, Kevlar, and Dacron. These materials are able to withstand the forces and stresses of opening and descent, while also providing a large surface area for effective air resistance.

3. How do you ensure the safety and reliability of a parachute system?

To ensure the safety and reliability of a parachute system, it undergoes extensive testing and evaluation. This includes stress and load testing, as well as simulation and real-life deployment testing. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections are crucial for identifying any potential issues and ensuring the parachute is in good working condition.

4. What factors should be considered when designing a parachute system for a specific application?

Several factors should be considered when designing a parachute system for a specific application, including the weight and size of the object being supported, the desired descent rate, the altitude at which the parachute will be deployed, and the environmental conditions it will encounter. The type and shape of the parachute, as well as the materials used, should also be carefully chosen based on these factors.

5. What are the key components of a parachute system?

A parachute system typically consists of a canopy, suspension lines, and a deployment mechanism. The canopy is the main fabric component that provides air resistance and slows down the descent. The suspension lines connect the canopy to the object being supported. The deployment mechanism is responsible for releasing the parachute at the desired altitude and ensuring proper opening of the canopy.