What criteria are required for publishing a math paper?

• Thread starter elfboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Publishing
In summary, it is important to present original, unique work that has some kind of relevance to a particular field. The work must be correct, and the authors must perform a sufficient literature review. If you have done this, your chances for publication are high.
elfboy
I'm working on a mathematics paper, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what criteria are required to get published? I've gone some googling and found some good information and a journal I want to publish to, but I'm more specifically wondering what type of mathematics tends to get published? Topology and combinatorics seems to get the most attention and is the most advanced, or am I wrong? My concern is that the mathematics I'm working on isn't advanced enough. The Riemann Hypothesis relates to complex analysis and reads like, but most other unsolved or compelling topics are of other fields. Is there a favorism?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you certain that what you're doing has not been done before?

There are unsolved topics in every area but if youre thinking of proving Reimann Hypothesis I would bet against you.

What exactly do you mean by "advanced"?

qntty said:
What exactly do you mean by "advanced"?

I mean non trivial. Obviously if you solve a quadratic equation by copying the proof from a high school textbook and submitted it as a paper it would be deemed as some sort of prank and rejected. How advanced does it haave to be? I'm done writing it, so I'm going to send it off and see what happens.

It's not a matter of "advanced", it's a matter of being new, useful or ideally both.

elfboy said:
I mean non trivial. Obviously if you solve a quadratic equation by copying the proof from a high school textbook and submitted it as a paper it would be deemed as some sort of prank and rejected. How advanced does it haave to be? I'm done writing it, so I'm going to send it off and see what happens.

If you somehow found a novel way of solving a quadratic equation, it would be publishable.

elfboy said:
I'm working on a mathematics paper, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what criteria are required to get published? I've gone some googling and found some good information and a journal I want to publish to, but I'm more specifically wondering what type of mathematics tends to get published? Topology and combinatorics seems to get the most attention and is the most advanced, or am I wrong? My concern is that the mathematics I'm working on isn't advanced enough. The Riemann Hypothesis relates to complex analysis and reads like, but most other unsolved or compelling topics are of other fields. Is there a favorism?

I can't speak to mathematics in particular, but in general, you need to present original, unique work that has some kind of relevance to a particular field - and of course it has to be clearly presented and (at least to the satisfaction of the reviewers) correct. Some might argue that particular theories encounter favouritism, but as long as the science is correct, it should get through.

To really know what gets published, you have to read articles in the journal you're submitting to. If you haven't done this, your chances for publication are slim to none. One of the first things that I look for in a manuscript that I review is whether or not the authors have performed a sufficient literature review. This (a) places the work in the proper context, (b) defines what is original about the work presented, and (c) points the reader to other relevant work.

Choppy said:
I can't speak to mathematics in particular, but in general, you need to present original, unique work that has some kind of relevance to a particular field - and of course it has to be clearly presented and (at least to the satisfaction of the reviewers) correct. Some might argue that particular theories encounter favouritism, but as long as the science is correct, it should get through.

To really know what gets published, you have to read articles in the journal you're submitting to. If you haven't done this, your chances for publication are slim to none. One of the first things that I look for in a manuscript that I review is whether or not the authors have performed a sufficient literature review. This (a) places the work in the proper context, (b) defines what is original about the work presented, and (c) points the reader to other relevant work.

thanks for the advice. I went though my paper and referenced other sources to contextualize it.

I call ********.

1. What is the process of publishing a math paper?

The process of publishing a math paper typically involves several steps. First, the paper must be written following the specific guidelines of the chosen journal. Then, the paper is submitted to the journal for review. If accepted, the paper goes through a peer-review process where experts in the field evaluate the paper's content and validity. After any necessary revisions, the paper is published in the journal.

2. How long does it take for a math paper to get published?

The time it takes for a math paper to get published can vary greatly. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years from submission to publication. This time frame depends on factors such as the length of the peer-review process, the number of revisions needed, and the publication schedule of the journal.

3. Do I need to have my math paper peer-reviewed before submitting it for publication?

Yes, it is highly recommended to have your math paper peer-reviewed before submitting it for publication. Peer review is a crucial step in the publishing process as it ensures the quality and validity of the paper. It also provides valuable feedback and suggestions for improvement from experts in the field.

4. Can I publish my math paper in more than one journal?

It is generally not acceptable to publish the same math paper in multiple journals. This is considered self-plagiarism and can result in the retraction of the paper. However, it is possible to publish a revised and updated version of the paper in another journal if significant changes have been made.

5. How do I choose the right journal to publish my math paper?

Choosing the right journal to publish your math paper can greatly impact its visibility and impact. Some factors to consider when selecting a journal include the journal's scope and focus, its impact factor and reputation in the field, and the average time it takes for papers to get published. It is also essential to carefully read and follow the journal's submission guidelines to increase the chances of acceptance.