Article/book/paper on neuropeptides?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary: The PubMed search results can be browsed and filtered by clicking on the "advanced search" link at the top of the results page. This will allow you to enter additional search criteria, such as publication date. Once you've selected the articles you want to view, clicking on the "browse" button will display them one per row in a table. In summary, neuropeptides are a type of neurotransmitter that are produced by the perikaryon, which is a neuron's cell body. They are thought to play a role in the body's response to emotions, and some people believe that they represent a relation between emotion and health.
Mentat
Could anyone direct me to some article/book/paper on neuropeptides? Any information is appreciated, I just want to know about them. What is their activity in the body? I have heard (note: heard, not read) that they travel throughout the body...but I can't see what they would do, or what effect they could have. After all, there are no axon terminals in the cells permeating the body (except motor cells, I guess), so I don't see how they could be important facets of any normal process. However, I have heard of people talking about them as though they represent a relation between emotion and health; as well as many other, similar claims.

Again, I pretty much don't know anything about them (accept that they are a sort of neurotransmitter which seems to travel throughout the body, instead of just within synapses), so I'll appreciate any information I can get.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hi Mentat, neuropeptides are a specific subtybe of neurotransmitters produced by the perikaryon, which is a neuron's cell body.

I think you might be more interested in neurotransmitters in general, such as adrenaline (epinephrine). You must know what that does. It is both a hormone and a neurotransmitter, which means it travels between neurons but also through the body.

The one person who claims that above all others is Candace Pert. If you can put up with her annoying self-promotion and patronizing writing, read her book Molecules of Emotion. It's a good introduction to the subject from the woman who discovered the opiate receptor and pretty much invented mind/body medicine.

If you're interested in neuropeptide functions in the peripheral nervous system, go to PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi) and type in the following keywords:
neuropeptides review peripheral

You'll get 70 pages of articles to choose from. You can narrow the search down more by choosing specific systems you're interested in or specific neuropeptides. I suggest scanning through some of the titles and see if there's something that strikes your interest that you can use to refine your search.

Monique said:
Hi Mentat, neuropeptides are a specific subtybe of neurotransmitters produced by the perikaryon, which is a neuron's cell body.

I think you might be more interested in neurotransmitters in general, such as adrenaline (epinephrine). You must know what that does. It is both a hormone and a neurotransmitter, which means it travels between neurons but also through the body.

And are neuropeptides also both hormone and neurotransmitter?

Creating a web link to the Entrez (PubMed) databases

Moonbear said:
If you're interested in neuropeptide functions in the peripheral nervous system, go to PubMed (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi) and type in the following keywords:
neuropeptides review peripheral
To make a PubMed URL that includes search terms, add the code

Code:
?CMD=Search&DB=pubmed
(which normally appears after a search is performed) and the code

Code:
&term=termA
or
Code:
&term=termA+termB+termC
(if you have more than one search term) where termA, termB, termC, etc. are your desired search terms. For example, to make a PubMed URL that links directly to a search for neuropeptides review peripheral, we would make a PubMed URL with &term=neuropeptides+review+peripheral at the end, thusly:

Code:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=Search&DB=pubmed&term=neuropeptides+review+peripheral

More PubMed URL-creation tips are available in the PubMed Help section (linked on the front page in the blue bar on the left as Help). Once in the Help section, click on Creating a Web Link:

• URL Parameters

Base URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?

Search
    Include search terms with or without Boolean operators. Spaces within a URL should be "escaped" by converting them to '+' signs, e.g., Biochem Soc Trans should be entered as Biochem+Soc+Trans.

term=search terms

PubMed:
    Search PubMed for citations about hay fever published in 2003:
    cmd=search&db=pubmed&term=hay+fever+AND+2003[pdat]

1. What are neuropeptides?

Neuropeptides are small protein-like molecules that act as chemical messengers in the nervous system. They are produced by neurons and play a role in regulating various physiological processes, such as pain, appetite, mood, and stress.

2. How do neuropeptides affect the body?

Neuropeptides bind to specific receptors on cells throughout the body and trigger a variety of responses, including changes in neurotransmitter release, gene expression, and cell activity. This can influence behavior, cognition, and overall health.

3. What is the current research on neuropeptides?

Scientists are continually studying neuropeptides to better understand their role in the body and potential therapeutic applications. Recent research has focused on their involvement in conditions such as depression, Parkinson's disease, and chronic pain.

4. How are neuropeptides related to other neurotransmitters?

Neuropeptides are often co-released with other neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin, and can modulate their effects. They also play a role in regulating the release and activity of other neuropeptides, creating complex networks of communication in the nervous system.

5. Can neuropeptides be used as treatments for medical conditions?

While neuropeptides show promise as potential treatments for certain conditions, more research is needed to fully understand their effects and develop safe and effective therapies. Some neuropeptides, such as oxytocin and vasopressin, are already used in medical settings for their effects on social behavior and childbirth.