Intracellular vs. intercellular matrix

• Thread starter zmike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions and functions of intracellular and intercellular matrix, as well as the use of directional terminology in mRNA strands. The intercellular matrix is the space between cells and can contain building materials, while the intracellular matrix varies depending on the cell's function. The terms upstream and downstream indicate the direction on a strand of mRNA. It is also clarified that extracellular matrix is outside the cell membrane, while intercellular matrix is between cells.
zmike
My anatomy textbook keeps mentioning intracellular and intercellular matrix without defining them.

I am guessing that interceullar matrix was just the space between cells? which is suppose to be an aqueous buffer solution? but then what's intracellular matrix?

Also if I say something is 3' upstream on a strand of mRNA what does that mean?

thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Intracellular: Inside the cell itself
Intercellular: Between the cells themselves.

It depends on the cells themselves what is located in the matrix though... as far as I can remember the intercellular matrix would contain various building material for the cells it holds and can be fibrous or amorphous.
It's the same for intracellular... it depends on the cell itself and its function.

It just is indicated the direction on the piece of mRNA. It is terminology used for both RNA and DNA. Downstream is going towards the 3' end and upstream the opposite. You also have to think in terms of some strands being copied so flowing the opposite direction etc. etc.

thanks

but I thought Extracellular matrix was the space Between the cells themselves rather than intercellular matrix?

zmike said:
thanks

but I thought Extracellular matrix was the space Between the cells themselves rather than intercellular matrix?

Extracellular just means what's outside the cell plasma membrane. Intercellular actually means what's between various cells. It could be like a bridge connect cells or a specific type of substance etc.

1. What is the difference between intracellular and intercellular matrix?

The intracellular matrix, also known as the cytoskeleton, is a network of proteins and filaments that provide structural support and aid in cell movement and division within a single cell. The intercellular matrix, on the other hand, is the extracellular material that exists between cells and helps to hold them together.

2. How do cells interact with the intracellular matrix?

Cells interact with the intracellular matrix through cell adhesion molecules, such as integrins, which bind to specific proteins in the matrix. This allows cells to communicate with and respond to signals from their surrounding environment.

3. What is the function of the intercellular matrix?

The intercellular matrix serves several important functions, including providing structural support and organization for tissues and organs, regulating cell behavior and differentiation, and facilitating communication between cells.

4. How is the intracellular matrix maintained?

The intracellular matrix is constantly maintained and remodeled by specialized proteins and enzymes, such as actin and myosin, which help to form and break down the cytoskeleton. This allows cells to adapt to changes in their environment and carry out essential functions.

5. Can disruptions in the intercellular matrix lead to disease?

Yes, disruptions in the intercellular matrix can lead to various diseases, such as cancer, fibrosis, and autoimmune disorders. For example, changes in the composition or organization of the matrix can affect cell signaling and behavior, potentially leading to abnormal cell growth and tissue dysfunction.