Is the Graph of a Continuous Function Closed if the Spaces are T2 and T1?

In summary, the proof of the closure of the graph of a continuous function in a Haussdorff space X x Y seems to be elusive.
radou
Homework Helper
Me again.

Problem. Let X be a topological space, and Y a T2-space (i.e. a Haussdorf topological space). Let f : X --> Y be a continuous function. One needs to show that the graph of , i.e. the set G = {(x, f(x)) : x is in X} is closed in X x Y.

Attempt of proof. To show what we need to show, we have to prove that the complement of G is open. Now, since Y is a Haussdorf space, one can show that it is a T1-space too, i.e. that every set containing a single point is closed. So, for every x, {f(x)} is closed in Y. Further on, since f is continuous, the preimage of every closed set is a closed set too, so, for any f(x), {x} is closed in X. I feel I'm getting very warm, but I got stuck anyway. The complement of G in X x Y is X x Y \ G = X x Y \ U (x, f(x)) (where the union goes through all x in X) = [itex]\cap[/itex] [(X x Y) \ (x, f(x))]. Now, if X and Y are T1-spaces, can one show that X x Y is a T1 space, too? But then we'd in general have an infinite intersection of open sets, which doesn't need to be open.

Thanks in advance for a push.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some comments: the preimage of {f(x)} is not necessarily x.

One way that I think will work is that G is the inverse image of {(y,y)} < Y x Y under a nice map. Using the fact that Y is Hausdorff I think you can show that the diagonal set ({(y,y)}) is closed.

eok20 said:
Some comments: the preimage of {f(x)} is not necessarily x.

Oh, of course! For some weird reason, I assumed f to be injective.

eok20 said:
One way that I think will work is that G is the inverse image of {(y,y)} < Y x Y under a nice map. Using the fact that Y is Hausdorff I think you can show that the diagonal set ({(y,y)}) is closed.

OK, I'll try to look into it.

Another attempt of a proof, a bit different than suggested.

So, to review, given f : X --> Y, with f continuous and Y Haussdorf (or T2), we have to show that the graph G of f is closed in X x Y (the closed graph theorem).

If we show that Cl(G) is a subset of G, then Cl(G) = G, and G is closed.

Let x = (a, b) be from Cl(G). Then there exists a net n : D --> G such that n --> (a, b). This implies the convergence of its components, i.e. n = (n1, n2) -- > (a, b). Since f is continuous, and n1 is a net in X which converges to a, the composition net f o n1 must converge to f(a). So, the net n' = (n1, f o n1) converges to (a, f(a)).

Let p1 and p2 be the projections from X x Y to X and Y respectively, defined with p1(x, y) = x and p2(x, y) = y. Since they are continuous, for every net N : D --> X x Y which converges to some (x0, y0), we have p1 o N --> x0 and p2 o N --> y0.

If we apply the projections p1 and p2 with the nets n and n', we obtain p1 o n --> a, p2 o n = b, p1 o n' --> a and p2 o n' --> f(a).

Now, the part I'm not exactly sure about (regardless of the same limits, of course) - does p1 o n equal p1 o n', since the first components od n and n' are equal? If so, can we conclude that n and n' are equal? If so, it follows easily from the other two relations that b = f(a), since Y is Haussdorf, so x = (a, b) = (a, f(a)) and hence lies in G.

Thanks in advance for anyone with enough patience for this.

Actually, after thinking a bit more, it seems pretty obvious that p1 o n = p1 o n' doesn't imply n = n', because it's only about the first components.

Still, I feel I could be on the right track with the work up to this absurd conclusion.

1. What does it mean for a graph to be "closed"?

In the context of graphs, "closed" refers to a graph that is complete and has no missing edges or vertices. It is a fully connected graph where every vertex is connected to every other vertex.

2. How can you tell if a graph is closed?

A graph is closed if every vertex is connected to every other vertex and there are no missing edges. This can be visually verified by examining the graph for any isolated or disconnected vertices. Alternatively, you can use mathematical tools such as degree sequences or connectivity algorithms to determine if a graph is closed.

3. What are the benefits of showing that a graph is closed?

Showing that a graph is closed can provide important insights about the structure and connectivity of the graph. It can also help in identifying any missing connections or isolated components that may impact the overall interpretation of the data represented by the graph.

4. Can a graph be both closed and open?

No, a graph cannot be both closed and open. These terms are mutually exclusive and refer to two different types of graphs. A closed graph is fully connected and has no missing edges or vertices, while an open graph has missing connections or isolated vertices.

5. How does showing a graph is closed impact its analysis?

Showing that a graph is closed can greatly impact its analysis by providing a more accurate and complete representation of the underlying data. It can also help in identifying patterns and relationships within the data that may not have been apparent in an open graph.