How do I input negative exponents on a TI-89 calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to input the quotation "e^(-x)" on a TI-89 calculator. The individual initially tries to use "-" before "x" but receives a syntax error. They are then advised to use the (-) button instead. They express gratitude for the help and joke about the two minus signs on the calculator. The conversation ends with a discussion about the purpose of the two minus keys.
elun
can anyone help me to get this quotation "e^(-x)" on ti-89 ?
after i putting "-" before "x" and pressing enter , the error syntax happens ... :confused:

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Have you tried to read manual? It says to not use "-" but (-) (button between dot and enter).

ah tanx a lot i was searching for it all day long ! :wink:

Did you not notice there are two minus signs? :tongue: Just kidding. It's okay, we've all done it.

TylerH said:
Did you not notice there are two minus signs? :tongue: Just kidding. It's okay, we've all done it.

Yeah The 1st minus was the tricky one ! :biggrin:

I don't have a TI-89, but my guess is that one of the - keys is for subtraction, and the other is to change the sign of the operand.

Mark44 said:
I don't have a TI-89, but my guess is that one of the - keys is for subtraction, and the other is to change the sign of the operand.

yeah exactly :wink:

1. How do I make a negative number on my TI-89 calculator?

To make a negative number on your TI-89 calculator, simply type in the number and then press the (-) button before pressing enter. For example, to enter -5, type in "5" then press (-) and then press enter. The negative sign should appear before the number.

2. Can I make a negative exponential number on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can make a negative exponential number on your TI-89 calculator. To do this, enter the base number, press the (^) button, then enter the negative exponent, and press enter. For example, to enter 2^-3, type in "2" then press (^) then "3" and press enter. The calculator will display the result as 0.125.

3. How do I change a positive number to a negative number on my TI-89 calculator?

To change a positive number to a negative number on your TI-89 calculator, simply multiply the number by (-1). For example, to change 5 to -5, type in "5" then press the (*) button, then type in "1" then press (-) and then press enter. The result will be -5.

4. What is the difference between a negative number and a negative exponential on a TI-89 calculator?

A negative number is simply a number with a negative sign in front of it, while a negative exponential is a number raised to a negative power. The negative exponential is equivalent to the reciprocal of the positive exponential. For example, 2^-3 is the same as 1/(2^3) which equals 1/8 or 0.125.

5. Can I make a negative number in scientific notation on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can make a negative number in scientific notation on your TI-89 calculator. To do this, enter the number, press the (EE) button, then enter the negative exponent, and press enter. For example, to enter -5 x 10^-3, type in "5" then press (-) then (EE) then "3" and press enter. The calculator will display the result as -0.005.