Angular Momentum/Impulse Problem

• Thread starter cdbowman42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angular
In summary: The blocks do not have any initial angular momentum, so we can set (I \omega)_{initial} = 0.The turntable has an initial angular momentum of (I \omega)_{turntable} = 1/2 (1.8 kg)(0.2 m)^2 (160 rpm) = 11.52 kg*m^2/s.After the blocks hit and stick, the total moment of inertia of the system is (1.8 kg)(0.2 m)^2 + 2(0.5 kg)(0.2 m)^2 = 0.48 kg*m^2.Plugging this into the equation, we can solve for the final angular velocity: (
cdbowman42
1. A 1.8 kg, 20 cm diameter turntable rotates at 160 rpm on frictionless bearings. Two 500 g blocks fall from above, hit the turntable simultaneously at opposite ends of a diagonal, and stick. What is the turntable's angular velocity, in rpm, just after this event?

2. Angular momentum(L)=angular velocity(w)*moment of inertia(I)

3. I'm confused as to whether or not to appraoch this as a conservation of momentum problem or some other way. I think I would need to know the velocities of the blocks before they hit to to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do the blocks carry with them any angular momentum of their own? (It seems the problem is set up to hint that they do not).

Thanks! that's all I needed!

hi cdbowman42! :smile:
cdbowman42 said:
I think I would need to know the velocities of the blocks before they hit to to this.

hint: what was their angular momentum about the axis, before they hit? :wink:

(assuming they fell vertically at speed v)

I would think about it in the following way

[tex] \int \tau dt = \Delta ( I \omega) [/tex]

where [tex] \int \tau dt [/tex] is the angular impulse and [tex] \Delta (I \omega) [/tex] is the change in angular momentum.

We can see that no vertical torque is exerted on the turntable, so the angular momentum must remain constant.

Then we must have

[tex] (I \omega)_{initial} = (I \omega)_{final} [/tex]

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measurement of an object's tendency to continue rotating at a constant speed along a specific axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the object's mass, speed, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum (L) can be calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia (I) by its angular velocity (ω). The equation is L = I * ω. In simpler terms, angular momentum is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its speed and distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that if no external forces are applied, the total angular momentum will remain constant.

4. What is an impulse in relation to angular momentum?

An impulse is a force applied over a specific period of time, resulting in a change in an object's momentum. In the case of angular momentum, an impulse can cause a change in an object's rotational speed or direction of rotation.

5. How is angular momentum used in real-life applications?

Angular momentum is used in various real-life applications, such as in sports equipment (e.g. golf clubs, ice skates), vehicles (e.g. gyroscope in airplanes), and even in space missions (e.g. stabilizing satellites). It is also an important concept in understanding the movement of celestial bodies in astronomy and in analyzing the behavior of subatomic particles in quantum mechanics.