Osama Bin Laden killed by US in Pakistan

• News
  • Thread starter Mech_Engineer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bin
In summary, Osama bin Laden, the mastermind behind the 9/11 terrorist attacks, has been killed in an intelligence-led operation in Pakistan. The news comes nearly a decade after the attacks and is a major victory for the US. Obama is expected to make a statement about the news Sunday night.
Mech_Engineer
Science Advisor
Gold Member
News reports are saying Osama Bin Laden has been killed in Islamabad by a US bomb, reportedly the result of a sensitive intelligence operation.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/

Usama bin Laden is dead, multiple sources confirm to Fox News. President Obama is expected to deliver a statement from the White House Sunday night to discuss the major development. Sources said bin Laden was killed by a U.S. bomb a week ago. The U.S. had been waiting for the results of a DNA test to confirm his identity. The announcement comes nearly a decade after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks which started a tireless hunt for the terrorist mastermind and Al Qaeda leader.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/05/01/usama-bin-laden-dead-say-sources/#ixzz1LA5ByBNk

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

That's a wonderful news!

I hope this will weaken the terrorist operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan. However, I don't expect to see any bigger changes.

rootX said:
That's a wonderful news!

I hope this will weaken the terrorist operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan. However, I don't expect to see any bigger changes.

It won't. Al-Qaeda has already been almost completely eradicated, at least inside Afghanistan, and they have almost zero direct ties with the Taliban (who are not a terrorist organization by the way).

Honestly, this is mostly a huge political victory for Obama, and a symbolic victory for the U.S., but very little change will come from this. I'd expect some protects in Pakistan, but not much more.

Obama said in his speech he was killed today by a military ground force. That's pretty ballsy - more than I would have expected from him.

Kudos to the service men and women who made this happen, and to the behind-the-scenes intelligence professionals too!

Bad move Obama, bad move.
2hyjr02.png

:rofl:

Obama's speech minutes ago said that Bin laden was killed in a firefight in a compound deep within Pakistan, and U.S. forces took control of his body. It appears this was more than an Air Force bomb being dropped.

lisab said:
Kudos to the service men and women who made this happen, and to the behind-the-scenes intelligence professionals too!

I was also thinking of all the hard work they did for about a decade!

pergradus said:
It won't. Al-Qaeda has already been almost completely eradicated, at least inside Afghanistan, and they have almost zero direct ties with the Taliban (who are not a terrorist organization by the way).
He was more of a symbolic figure. It certainly is big political victory for Obama

KingNothing said:
Bad move Obama, bad move.
2hyjr02.png

The Friend button is not working. I wanted to friend him. He must be feeling pretty bad right now knowing he will not get any wergins.

this is amazing news. I am very happy. I think Osama not paying the price for 9/11 has been weighing on the minds of a lot of Americans for a long, long time.

Lacy33 said:
The Friend button is not working. I wanted to friend him. He must be feeling pretty bad right now knowing he will not get any wergins.

:rofl: Lacy, you crack me up!

Meh, he doesn't need any more virgins...didn't he already have like 12 wives?

Looks like they got him in an urban area. Someone is going to have some explaining to do!

Say HAI to Saddam you son of a biatch :)

I'm guessing Mr. Trump will need to see a long-form death certificate?

And now, no more wedding talk! DOUBLE WOOT!

Mech_Engineer said:
News reports are saying Osama Bin Laden has been killed in Islamabad by a US bomb, reportedly the result of a sensitive intelligence operation.

He was shot in the head in a firefight.

Lots of people out in the streets in New York and Washington celebrating!

KingNothing said:
I'm guessing Mr. Trump will need to see a long-form death certificate?

:rofl: No, but the Muslim world will. They will want to see the body; hole in head included.

baric said:
this is amazing news. I am very happy. I think Osama not paying the price for 9/11 has been weighing on the minds of a lot of Americans for a long, long time.
Yes, it has. And his death will improve the health of many. The blood pressure of millions of Americans rose sharply every time they thought of Osama bin Ladin still being alive and free.

And this is certainly the greatest accomplishment of this administration. And it doesn't raise my blood pressure one bit to say: Kudos President Obama!

(Well, maybe it did a little, but I still stand by it)

A glorious day.

What day was he actually killed? Someone posted that Hitler was killed on April 30th... would be one hell of a coincidence!

This is such a great day for the US though. We haven't had anything to celebrate in a very long time.

Last edited:

As my friend said, "you know, the Romans were also pretty happy when they killed Jesus Christ." Considering that al-Qaeda has no qualms about using suicidal attacks, I expect bin Laden to be considered a martyr.

rootX said:
He was more of a symbolic figure. It certainly is big political victory for Obama

I don't think he was just a symbolic figure. If nothing else, he's the son of a Saudi billionaire and controls a personal wealth of 30-300 million US dollars. That's a lot of money anywhere, but in the impoverished Afghan/Pakistani region where people are desperate for money, it can buy you an impressive army.

So apparently they buried his body already, and at sea.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/05/osama-bin-laden-body-headed-for-burial-at-sea-officials-say.html

This is odd...

Picture is already out there of the hole in his head (I won't put it up, its pretty graphic but you can GoogleBing it). Apparently they confirmed the kill with facial recognition and DNA testing.

I <3 DEVGRU, go SeALs!

Pengwuino said:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/05/osama-bin-laden-body-headed-for-burial-at-sea-officials-say.html

This is odd...

Yes it is odd i just heard this news moments ago why would they buried him so quickly it is quite a surprise if you ask me i smell something fishy because Arabic media is denying this news usama's body would have been the ultimate proof and i haven't heard of any news which mentions any DNA testing there is something wrong here.

I see people here saying that things will get better for Pakistan after this well i am from Pakistan and to be honest i fear that the things will get even worst we are already dealing with Taliban but now we might have our hands full with al-qaeda obama mentioned that the Pakistani troops had a big contribution in the operation so bin laden's successors might be seeking revenge and that is not all the Indian media now has a very good excuse to blame Pakistan for the terrorist activities in the region and they are doing so with all their strength and even for the USA this war is far from over

I have had an aerial photograph of ground zero on my desk since 9/11. This is a happy day for me. Good riddance.

bobze said:
Picture is already out there of the hole in his head (I won't put it up, its pretty graphic but you can GoogleBing it). Apparently they confirmed the kill with facial recognition and DNA testing.

I <3 DEVGRU, go SeALs!

Apparently officials are saying it's a fake and msnbc is saying it doesn't look right either.

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/02/6568249-we-think-that-bin-laden-death-photo-is-a-fake

Gawd I hope I don't wake up tomorrow to a bunch of conspiracy theories.

Pengwuino said:
Apparently officials are saying it's a fake and msnbc is saying it doesn't look right either.

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/05/02/6568249-we-think-that-bin-laden-death-photo-is-a-fake

Gawd I hope I don't wake up tomorrow to a bunch of conspiracy theories.

Thanks for the link Pengwuino. I'm sure that he's dead but, that image really looks like the 1998 image. Let's hope that the US releases some real pictures.

Pengwuino said:

This is odd...

yes. it doesn't seem well-thought out.

Pengwuino said:

That doesn't look convincing. And Pakistan has some questions to answer, bin Laden holed up in a fortress 62 miles NE of Islamambad!

that pic is from "the internet". there is no reason at all to think it is real.

Kudos for Barak Obama in a clear attempt to unpolarize.

As we do, we must also reaffirm that the United States is not and never will be at war with Islam. I’ve made clear just as President Bush did shortly after 9/11 that our war is not against Islam. Bin laden was not a Muslim leader. He was a mass murderer of Muslims. Indeed, al Qaeda slaughtered scores of Muslims in many countries including our own.

So his demise should be welcomed by all who believe in peace and human dignity.

Back to the 'We are in this together'-policy instead of the you are either with us or against us wars. Now diplomacy should go into the highest gear, back to cooperation.

Pengwuino said:

This is odd...

Proton Soup said:
yes. it doesn't seem well-thought out.

I think it's a wise decision. No body to recover for a shrine or massive public funeral, and assuming it was done properly, no way for somebody to desecrate the body or otherwise provide any propaganda value. Everything done quick, above-board, and with no fuss.