Research combining physics with sound, acoustics, music

In summary, the person is a recent university graduate with a background in physics, programming, and mathematics, and is looking to pursue a master's degree. They are passionate about music and are interested in a career that combines their science background and love for sound. They are specifically interested in applied or experimental fields, and are curious about the overlap between hard science and sound technology, as well as potential fields to explore for their master's education. They are seeking insights from anyone with similar interests or experience in this field. Some relevant fields to consider are speech pathology, speech therapy, linguistics, and materials science.
psygeminy
Hello! I am a recent university grad, majored in physics, with a strong background in programming and maths. I've had a couple non-physics research positions, and am looking to go back to school for a masters.

All my life I've been very passionate about music, from composing classical pieces, to building guitars, flutes and experimental instruments, to more recently creating electronic music using software and recorded samples. Now I realize that my dream would be a career that applies my science background and skills with a subject matter that I'm truly passionate about, specifically sound.

I know a bit about 'physics of sound' from back in first-year waves, it was interesting but obviously basic. I've heard a lot about acoustics being a very complex field, but aside from designing theatre halls, I'm not sure what one does in that field. Is there a hard-science overlap with recording/mixing/mastering technologies? How about musical instrument design? What might be a relevant field to look into for master's education, if any? I'm really much more interested in something applied or experimental, and less theoretical.

Does anybody hear have a similar interest, or perhaps experience in this, either, academically or professionally, that could give me some insights?

Thanks for reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
the closest field I know of is signal processing which is related to, if not a subfield of, electrical engineering

Last edited by a moderator:
psygeminy said:
Hello! I am a recent university grad, majored in physics, with a strong background in programming and maths. I've had a couple non-physics research positions, and am looking to go back to school for a masters.

I know a bit about 'physics of sound' from back in first-year waves, it was interesting but obviously basic. I've heard a lot about acoustics being a very complex field, but aside from designing theatre halls, I'm not sure what one does in that field. Is there a hard-science overlap with recording/mixing/mastering technologies? How about musical instrument design? What might be a relevant field to look into for master's education, if any? I'm really much more interested in something applied or experimental, and less theoretical.

Does anybody hear have a similar interest, or perhaps experience in this, either, academically or professionally, that could give me some insights?

Thanks for reading!

Speech Pathology, Speech Therapy, Linguistics...

Also, since your question pushes into multidisciplinary fields, you would probably find guitar makers who are interested in alternative size values and alternative materials. Interests here could be Materials Science, position, shape, and number of sound holes, different sizes and shapes of soundboards and backboards, sources and specifications of tonewoods, effects of coatings(finishes).

I find your passion for combining physics with sound, acoustics, and music very exciting! There are actually many opportunities for research in this field, and I believe a master's degree could be a great way for you to further explore your interests and expertise in this area.

One potential field to consider for your master's degree is acoustical engineering, which involves the application of physics and engineering principles to the design and manipulation of sound. This could include areas such as designing and optimizing concert halls or recording studios, developing new audio technologies, and even improving musical instrument design.

Another related field is psychoacoustics, which focuses on how humans perceive and interpret sound. This could involve research into the relationship between sound and emotion, or the effects of sound on cognitive processes.

In terms of your interests in recording, mixing, and mastering technologies, there is definitely a hard-science overlap in this field. For example, understanding the physics of sound waves and how they interact with different materials can greatly impact the quality of a recording. Additionally, advancements in technology have allowed for more precise and scientific approaches to mixing and mastering music.

I would also recommend looking into programs or research opportunities at universities that have strong music or sound departments. Some schools even offer joint programs in music and engineering, which could be a perfect fit for your interests.

In terms of professional experience, there are many job opportunities in this field, including working in recording studios, audio engineering for live events, and research positions in industries such as music technology or consumer electronics.

I hope this gives you some insights and inspiration for your future studies and career path. Best of luck in your pursuits!

1. What is the relationship between physics and sound?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions, and sound is a form of energy that travels through matter in the form of waves. So, physics and sound are closely related as physics principles are used to understand and explain the behavior of sound waves.

2. How does acoustics affect music?

Acoustics is the study of sound and how it behaves in different environments. In music, acoustics play a significant role in how sound waves are produced, transmitted, and received by the listener. The shape and materials of a room, for example, can greatly impact the quality and clarity of music.

3. Can physics be used to improve music quality?

Yes, physics can help improve music quality in various ways. For instance, with the understanding of how sound waves behave, scientists and engineers can design better musical instruments and audio equipment, as well as optimize concert hall acoustics for optimal sound quality.

4. What is the Doppler effect and how does it relate to music?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency of a sound wave as the source of the sound moves relative to the listener. In music, this effect is used to create the illusion of movement or change in pitch, such as when an ambulance siren appears to change pitch as it passes by.

5. How is physics used in the study of musical instruments?

Physics plays a crucial role in understanding how musical instruments produce sound. For example, the properties of different materials and their vibrations are studied to determine the best materials for creating specific musical tones. Additionally, the principles of wave interference and resonance are used to analyze and improve the sound of instruments.