Integration of a pdf, expected value

In summary, the task is to show that E[Y^4] = 3, where Y~N(0,1). One approach is to use the formula E[(Y-mu)^4]/[E(Y-mu)^2]^2 = 3, however this may not lead to a solution. Another approach is to use integration by parts and make a substitution to solve the integral E(Y^4) = 1/sqrt(2pi)*integral (y^4)*e^(-y^2/2), which ultimately gives the correct answer.
alias

Homework Statement

Show that E[Y^4] = 3, where Y~N(0,1)

Homework Equations

E[(Y-mu)^4]/[E(Y-mu)^2]^2 = 3
E(Y^4) = 1/sprt(2pi)*intregral (y^4)*e^(-y^2/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have expanded and simplified the first equation above and cannot get it to equal 3. I think it's possible to solve the second using integration by parts but I can't find what to use for
[u, du, dv, v] in order to integrate by parts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, it's a definite integral in from -inf to inf.

alias said:

Homework Statement

Show that E[Y^4] = 3, where Y~N(0,1)

Homework Equations

E[(Y-mu)^4]/[E(Y-mu)^2]^2 = 3
E(Y^4) = 1/sprt(2pi)*intregral (y^4)*e^(-y^2/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have expanded and simplified the first equation above and cannot get it to equal 3. I think it's possible to solve the second using integration by parts but I can't find what to use for
[u, du, dv, v] in order to integrate by parts. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You might have to try several things until you get something that will work. What have you tried so far? Another approach that is often useful is to look at dI(a)/da or d^2I(a)/da^2, where I(a) = integral_{y=-inf..inf} exp(-a*y^2/2) dy.

RGV

I tried integration by parts but the integral I end up with makes no sense to me.

alias said:
I tried integration by parts but the integral I end up with makes no sense to me.

If you show your work we have the basis of a discussion.

RGV

Just spit-balling, is there a way to use some substitutions to make this look something like the pdf of a gamma distribution? Then use what you know about that?

I integrated the Gaussian distribution, it took a long time but I finally got the right answer. After making a substitution, integration by parts worked. I would like to know if the formula: E[(Y-mu)^4]/[E(Y-mu)^2]^2, is useless for answering this question though. Thanks guys.

1. What is the concept of integration in relation to a pdf?

Integration is a mathematical operation used to calculate the area under a curve. In the context of a probability density function (pdf), integration is used to find the probability of a random variable falling within a certain range of values.

2. How is the expected value related to integration of a pdf?

The expected value, also known as the mean, is calculated by integrating the product of a random variable and its corresponding probability from negative infinity to infinity. In other words, it is the weighted average of all possible outcomes of a random variable.

3. Can integration of a pdf be used to find the probability of a specific outcome?

No, integration of a pdf is used to find the probability of a range of values, not a specific outcome. This is because the probability of a specific outcome in a continuous distribution is equal to zero.

4. How does the shape of a pdf affect the integration process?

The shape of a pdf can affect the integration process by changing the limits of integration and the function being integrated. The limits of integration are determined by the range of values for which the pdf is non-zero, and the function being integrated is the pdf itself.

5. Are there any limitations to using integration for finding the expected value of a pdf?

Yes, there can be limitations to using integration for finding the expected value of a pdf. In some cases, the integral may not converge, meaning that the expected value cannot be calculated. Additionally, integration may not be feasible for complex or high-dimensional pdfs, in which case numerical methods may be used instead.