Finding x through mod regarding G.C.D

• Thread starter joao_pimentel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of x in a system of equations using the Chinese Remainder Theorem. The individual seeking help is struggling to find the next steps, but is given guidance on using Bézout's identity and the formula x = 3ma + 2nb to find the solution. The expert also explains that there may be multiple solutions to the system of equations.
joao_pimentel
Hi, my problem is this one:
____

G.C.D of (m,n)=1

x ≡3 (mod n)
x ≡2 (mod m)

Find x.

______

Just kindly tell me which subjects shall I study, and kindly give me some quick web references...
web articles, web pages, etc...

I'm around this problem and I can't find anything.

I know that

[tex]x=q_1 n+3[/tex]

[tex]x=q_2 m +2[/tex]

and i know the fraction [tex]\frac{m}{n}[/tex] is irredutible, but which next steps shall I give?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Joao,
you need to google for the "chinese remainder theorem". The Wikipedia page can be a bit obscure depending on your background; this page may be more clear:
http://www.math.okstate.edu/~wrightd/crypt/lecnotes/node21.html

It may point you to study other things first, like the "Euclidean algorithm".
Hope this helps!

I tried to develop the system considering [tex]q_1[/tex] and [tex]q_2[/tex] are naturals...

[tex]\begin{cases}
x=q_1 n+3 \\
x=q_2 m+2 \\
\end{cases}[/tex]

I developed then and I saw that:

[tex]\frac{m}{n}=\frac{q_1}{q_2}\frac{x-2}{x-3} \ \ q_1,q_2 \in \mathbb{N}[/tex]

I know that G.C.D(m.n)=1, then these are Irreducible fractions

can you kindly help out to continue?

Here is a simpler version of the story, hopefully.

When working with coprime numbers like your m,n, numbers such that GCD(m,n)=1, a common strategy is to rely on something called "Bézout's identity": it says that it is always possible to find other integers a,b, such that ma+nb=1. Assume the existence of these other integers a,b for the moment; we can go into more detail later as to why they exist, or you can google that for yourself.

Notice, then, that the equation ma+nb=1, which we can write as either ma - 1 = n(-b), or as nb - 1 = m(-a), implies respectively that:
ma ≡ 1 (mod n), and
nb ≡ 1 (mod m)

Now you're almost done, as the x you are looking for is x = 3ma + 2nb. It's not hard to see that this x, modulo n, is 3 . 1 + 0 = 3, and modulo m it is 0 + 2 . 1 = 2, which is what you wanted.

The issue, then, is that you convince yourself about the truth of Bézout's identity, which is a very common trick in dealing with numbers whose GCD is 1.

--------------
P.S.:
In your particular example, given that you have integers [itex]q_1[/itex], [itex]q_2[/itex] such that
[tex]\begin{cases}
x=q_1 n+3 \\
x=q_2 m+2 \\
\end{cases}[/tex]
then, as the two right-hand sides are both equal to x, they are equal among themselves, and
[tex]q_1 n + 3 = q_2 m + 2[/tex]
It follows that
[tex]q_1 n + 1 = q_2 m[/tex]
which can be written as
[tex]q_2 m - q_1 n = 1[/tex]
so the integers a,b I was talking about before, are [itex]a=q_2[/itex] and [itex]b=-q_1[/itex].

Thus your solution is x = 3ma + 2nb = [itex]3 m q_2 - 2 n q_1[/itex]. (Actually, there are many other solutions, as adding or subtracting any multiple of mn will produce another solution; there will be only one solution in the interval between 0 and mn-1, both inclusive.)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your kind attention

Best regards

1. What is the purpose of using mod in finding x through G.C.D?

The modulus (mod) function is used in finding x through G.C.D to determine the remainder when two numbers are divided. This is helpful in solving problems involving cyclic patterns or repeating decimals.

2. How does finding x through G.C.D work?

To find x through G.C.D, we first find the G.C.D of the two numbers involved. Then, we use the extended Euclidean algorithm to express the G.C.D as a linear combination of the two numbers. Finally, we use the modulus function to find the value of x that satisfies the equation.

3. Can finding x through G.C.D be used for non-integer values?

Yes, finding x through G.C.D can be used for non-integer values as long as the numbers are rational. This means that they can be expressed as a fraction of two integers.

4. What are the applications of finding x through G.C.D?

Finding x through G.C.D has various applications in cryptography, computer science, and mathematics. It is used in encryption algorithms, generating random numbers, and solving equations with unknown variables.

5. Are there any limitations to finding x through G.C.D?

One limitation of finding x through G.C.D is that it only works for two numbers at a time. It cannot be applied to a set of three or more numbers. Additionally, the numbers involved must be relatively prime, meaning they have no common factors other than 1.