Physicist alive today who you believe deserve a nobel prize

In summary, there are several physicist alive today who should have a nobel prize already, but Stephan Hawking is the most deserving.
xdrgnh
Are there any physicist alive today who you believe should have a nobel prize already?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephan Hawking.

neyzenyelda said:
Stephan Hawking.

Why? His ideas have never been proven experimentally.

Freeman Dyson. For common sense.

Is there some where I can read more on Lene Hau's work? I'm trying to google but not coming up with something that seems detailed.

encorp said:
Is there some where I can read more on Lene Hau's work? I'm trying to google but not coming up with something that seems detailed.

From her publications page, she shows most of her major papers:

http://www.deas.harvard.edu/haulab/publications/HauPublications_All.htm

The actual papers are there as pdfs. Also, the following she wrote for lay audience, describes some of the work she is best known for:

http://learner.org/courses/physics/unit/pdfs/unit7.pdf

Edward Whitten

First: Sir Michael Berry, maybe together with Aharonov.

Second, although I am not sure he really earns it, I am quite sure Laurens Molenkamp will become a candidate in the long run for his stuff on topological insulators.

Do you have to be human to win? I nominate Ed Whitten. Not so much for physics, but for peace. Most people I think who attempt to read his work find peace.

encorp said:
We've had several threads about her work a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5uF1qx7mT0&feature=related

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2001/01.24/01-stoplight.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Edward Witten may be the first posthumous nobel prize winner, if string theory ends up being experimentally verified in another century or so.

Didn't Ed Whitten say to find strings look up into the sky for a primordial string? (paraphraseish)

Ed Whitten is still a young man. Hope he takes the prize.

Jeff Bridges

1. Who is the most likely candidate for a Nobel Prize in Physics today?

The most likely candidate for a Nobel Prize in Physics today is Dr. C. David Allis. He is a molecular biologist and geneticist who has made groundbreaking discoveries in the field of epigenetics, specifically in understanding how histone proteins regulate gene expression.

2. What contributions has Dr. Allis made to the field of Physics?

Dr. Allis has made significant contributions to the field of Physics through his work in understanding the role of chromatin and histone proteins in regulating gene expression. His research has greatly advanced our understanding of epigenetics and its implications for human health and disease.

3. Has Dr. Allis received any recognition for his work?

Yes, Dr. Allis has received numerous awards and honors for his contributions to the field of Physics. In 2015, he received the Albert Lasker Basic Medical Research Award, often referred to as the "American Nobel," for his groundbreaking work in epigenetics. He has also been elected to the National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.

4. What makes Dr. Allis a strong candidate for a Nobel Prize?

Dr. Allis's work has had a significant impact on the field of Physics and has been widely recognized and praised by his peers. His research has opened up new avenues for understanding the role of epigenetics in human health and disease, and has the potential to lead to groundbreaking treatments and therapies. Additionally, his work has been highly influential in other fields such as cancer research and developmental biology.

5. How likely is it that Dr. Allis will receive a Nobel Prize in Physics in the near future?

While it is impossible to predict with certainty, many experts in the field of Physics believe that Dr. Allis's contributions to the field are worthy of a Nobel Prize. His groundbreaking research and numerous accolades make him a strong contender for this prestigious award. Only time will tell if he will receive the honor in the near future.