Do moving electrons emit light?

In summary, according to the conversations, an electron emits EM waves which creates electric and magnetic fields around it. If these fields contain a charged particle, then quantum mechanics would state that the charged particle should be emitted as well. However, under a scale of electrons and nucleons, this does not happen.
jd12345
electron motion = light??

When an electron moves( or any charge particle moves) it creates a magnetic field around it according to biot-savarts law and ofcourse it creates an electric field around it.

So a moving electron creates light as both electric and magnetic field are present? Am i right? please correct me if I am not

Im very confused about light. It contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created

Physics news on Phys.org

Not quite. An electron has to accelerate to create EM waves (light). An electron which moves uniformly only has static E and B fields.

So for light we need changing E and B fields?

And please answer my second question : IF light contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created ?

jd12345 said:
So for light we need changing E and B fields?

And please answer my second question : IF light contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created ?

Electromagnetic waves are self-sustaining. Changing electric fields will generate magnetic fields and visa versa.

Not exactly, the velocity of electron must change, in order to do that. Otherwise shifting to another inertial reference frame, you would see stationary electrons emitting EM waves, which violates the principle of relativity

questions keep popping in my mind. Electrons are accelerating in an atom too right? Do they emit EM waves?

jd12345 said:
questions keep popping in my mind. Electrons are accelerating in an atom too right? Do they emit EM waves?

That's the problem of Rutherford's model, where electrons emit EM waves and collapse to the nucleus. Therefore, quantum mechanics, which later modified the model of atoms denied that would happen under scale of electrons and nucleons.

1. What is the relationship between electron motion and light?

The movement of electrons is directly linked to the creation of light. When electrons gain energy, they move to higher energy levels and then release that energy in the form of light.

2. How does electron motion create different types of light?

The speed and direction of electron movement determine the wavelength and frequency of light emitted. Different wavelengths and frequencies result in different types of light, such as visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and more.

3. Can we control the motion of electrons to manipulate light?

Yes, we can control the motion of electrons through various methods such as applying an electric field or using lasers. This allows us to manipulate the properties of light, such as its intensity and polarization.

4. How does the behavior of electrons affect the color of light?

The color of light is determined by the energy level of the electrons and the amount of energy they release. This energy determines the frequency and wavelength of the light, which in turn determines its color.

5. Are there any limitations to the relationship between electron motion and light?

While the relationship between electron motion and light is well understood, there are still some limitations and unanswered questions. For example, the exact mechanism of how electrons emit light is still a subject of ongoing research and study.