Can Cooling a Room With a Car Radiator Work?

• Thread starter armoghan
  • Start date
In summary, the individuals are discussing the feasibility and potential performance of using a car radiator and electric pump to cool a room. They also mention using ice or tap water and compare it to using a small window AC unit. It is suggested that using cheap ice may be a more effective cooling method.
armoghan
Can it possible?

Guys, i going to share an idea with professionals. i have a plan to cool my room by using car radiator. an electric pump circulate the cold water in the radiator and the fan mounted back with radiator will pass the air through the radiator.
i just want to ask you people that is it feasible? if it is... then what is your comments about its performance. what type of liquid should i use instead of water for this project.
any suggestions...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

How do you intend to cool the water that you are circulating?

in start i am going to use ICE... if i succeed then i can use a small compressor

Where are you getting the ice? Not a freezer in the room I hope?

Have you compared the heat capacity of a bag of ice to the capacity of a small window AC unit?

Where he is getting the water just may depend on if he has to pay for it.
-
Freezer in the room. LMAO. Good one Russ, hadn't thought of that.

Averagesupernova said:
Where he is getting the water just may depend on if he has to pay for it.
Many apartment complexes would give you water for free, but here the water isn't being consumed so it isn't relevant. But free or not (not), I'm considering using tap water for evaporative cooling in my house.

If you have a source of cheap ice then simply putting it in a bowl and letting the fan blow over it will be a lot more effective then chilling the water and passing it through a radiator.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I use a car radiator to cool a room?

Technically, yes, a car radiator can be used to cool a room. However, it may not be the most efficient or practical method.

2. How does cooling a room with a car radiator work?

The concept behind using a car radiator to cool a room is similar to how it works in a car. The radiator dissipates heat from the coolant using a fan, and the heat is transferred to the outside air. In a room, the radiator would be placed near a window or opening to allow the hot air to escape and cool air to enter.

3. Is it safe to use a car radiator to cool a room?

While it is possible to use a car radiator to cool a room, it is not recommended. Car radiators are designed for a specific purpose and may not be able to handle the demands of cooling a room. Additionally, there may be safety concerns, such as the risk of electric shock or fire.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of cooling a room with a car radiator?

There are several potential drawbacks to using a car radiator to cool a room. Some of these include noise from the fan, potential damage to the radiator, and the inefficient use of energy. In some cases, it may also be more cost-effective to use a dedicated air conditioning unit.

5. Are there any alternative methods for cooling a room besides using a car radiator?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for cooling a room. These include using a window air conditioner, a portable air conditioner, or a fan. Additionally, making sure the room is properly insulated and using curtains or blinds to block out sunlight can also help keep a room cool.