Configuring soundcard in linux Redhat 9

• Thread starter nelufar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary: This is where the summary ends.In summary, if you are unable to download the header file, you might need to try a different server.
nelufar
How can I configure my sound card in Linux Redhat 9? When I use sound configuring tool it says "sound card not detected"
If anyone can help me with instructions to follow, it will be of great help?

Thanks for the help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
What soundcard are you using?

dduardo said:
What soundcard are you using?

I am using Intel Corp.|82801EB AC'97 Audio soundcard. When I become super user and do Setup --> sound configuration tool , it says "The Intel Corp.|82801EB AC'97 Audio is not supported. "
So, what can I do then?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Most likely this is an integrated sound card. Go to www.intel.com and search for drivers for your particular motherboard; the audio drivers will be there. If they don't have a RH9 driver, you can try other Linux drivers they may have, ie RH Enterprise or SuSE9 drivers.

I would try a knoppix cd and see if it can detect it correctly. I'm almost positve linux supports that audio card. RH9 is pretty old and may not include this relatively new chipset.

You are right, zefram.

It is a integrated soundcard. I have already tried going to intel site and downloaded the particular driver. But that also could not help. It detected the card but complained that driver is not supported. So, what can be done then?

Thanks for the help.

Try this driver:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/hz/intel8x0-alsa-1.0.1.sh.gz[/URL]

I got it from here:

[url]http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/hz/hz_drive.htm[/url]

Make sure your motherboard matches the version number at the top of the page.

To run the file open up a terminal and type this:

gunzip intel8x0-alsa-1.0.1.sh.gz
chmod 744 intel8x0-alsa-1.0.1.sh
su
<enter root password>
./intel8x0-alsa-1.0.1.sh

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi dduardo,
thanks for the link. I followed your instruction , but then this is what it asked:

Intel Motherboard ADI AC97 Audio Device Driver has been compiled
Following are the list of driver that has been load :

ALSA Base driver : Not Loaded
OSS PCM Module : Not Loaded
OSS Mixer Module : Not Loaded
OSS Midi Module : Not Loaded

Do you wish to continue to configure your audio device?

When I said ' Yes' , it complained ' Do you have Alsa Utils installed? ' So, where can I find this?

Thanks for the help

Thanks, dduardo

Even though it complained I could listen the sample sound. I don't know why ALSA Utils are required.

Thanks, once again.

If you most certainly need alsa for the sound to work properly. I would first suggest getting YUM from here:

http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/yum/yum-2.0.4-1.rh.fr.i386.rpm

Then from the commandline as root you can do the following:

yum update
yum install alsa*

It will automatically go out to the internet, download any dependences and install the software for you.

Thanks for the link dduardo
What are these YUM?

yum is a program like apt-get (debian) or emerge (gentoo) that installs software for you and automagically resolves dependency problems by downloading and installing any additional packages you need. These tools make installing software in linux easier than in windows. I don't know how long you've been using linux, but there is thing called "dependancy hell" in which the software you want to install requires ten other programs, which themselves require ten other programs and you have to go and download and install the dependencies before you can install the program you want.

dduardo,

Hello!

I am new to Linux and learning to operate it. So, thanks for explaining. I followed your instructions but when I said "yum update" it took long time and the prompt command didnot appear. Does it takes so much time for updating.

Do these yum's also satisfy motherboard specifications or the link you had given is
sufficient?

Thanks again for the help.

This site has better instructions:

http://linux.lsu.edu/yum.php

You'll actually need to place this file in your /etc folder:

http://linux.lsu.edu/yum/redhat/9/yum.conf

It basically has a list of all the servers you can download files from. Rerun "yum update" to get the lastest list of file, which can take some time.

Yum is independent of which computer you have. If you get this file:

http://linux.lsu.edu/yum/redhat/9/yum-2.0.5-1.noarch.rpm

You'll see that is says noarch or no architecture. This means that it doesn't matter which computer you have, it willl install on anything that has redhat.

Hi dduardo,

When I did "yum update "
After sometime this is what it showed:

Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - i386 - freshrpms
retrygrab() failed for:
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/9/i386/freshrpms/headers/header.info
Executing failover method
failover: out of servers to try
Error getting file http://ayo.freshrpms.net/redhat/9/i386/freshrpms/headers/header.info
[Errno 7] HTTP Error (CannotSendRequest):

So what should be done then?

Thanks for the help.

Looks like a network connectivity problem to me. I can download the file just fine. Try again?

You are right, zefram. There is some connectivity problem. I will try again.
Thanks.

Hi dduardo,

I have done "yum update"
But when I say " yum install alsa* "
It says, there is no package found. So, what can be done?

Thanks for the help.

Wish You All "A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Thank you,Ramki, for your help.

But I have already tried this. I think sound card is not compatible with RHL 9.
If only help can be provided for how to check the compatiblity, it would be helpful.

Thanks.

1. How do I configure my soundcard in Redhat 9?

To configure your soundcard in Redhat 9, you will first need to identify the specific soundcard you are using. This can be done by using the command "lspci" in the terminal. Once you have identified your soundcard, you can use the command "alsaconf" to configure it. If your soundcard is not automatically detected, you may need to manually install the appropriate drivers.

2. What is ALSA and do I need it to configure my soundcard?

ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) is a software framework used for managing sound devices in Linux. It is recommended to have ALSA installed in order to configure your soundcard in Redhat 9. If it is not already installed, you can use the command "yum install alsa-utils" in the terminal to install it.

3. How do I test my soundcard after configuring it in Redhat 9?

To test your soundcard, you can use the command "speaker-test" in the terminal. This will play a test sound through your configured soundcard. You can also test your soundcard by playing audio files or using applications that require sound.

4. My sound is not working after configuring my soundcard in Redhat 9. What could be the issue?

There could be several reasons why your sound is not working after configuring your soundcard. Some possible issues could be incorrect driver installation, incorrect configuration settings, or hardware issues. It is recommended to double check your configuration settings and try reinstalling the necessary drivers. If the issue persists, there may be a hardware problem with your soundcard.

5. Can I configure multiple soundcards in Redhat 9?

Yes, it is possible to configure multiple soundcards in Redhat 9. You will need to use the command "alsaconf" to configure each soundcard individually. However, it is important to note that only one soundcard can be used at a time, so you will need to specify which soundcard you want to use when playing audio or using applications that require sound.