Is Precession Influenced by Conventional Vector Directions?

• Thread starter FrankJ777
  • Start date
In summary: ENDMENT:In summary, precession is a complex phenomenon in classical mechanics, in which a force acts on the angular momentum vector of a spinning object, causing it to precess in a direction perpendicular to the torque vector. This results in a change in the angular momentum vector and leads to the object's precession increasing in degree and rate. Despite being initially thought of as an arbitrary convention, the direction of the angular momentum and torque vectors play a crucial role in understanding precession. Further explanation and resources can be found online.
FrankJ777
I'm curious about how precession works. From what I thought I understood about angular momentum and torque vectors, the direction that they point are by arbitrary convention using the right hand rule. They are just a convenient expression of the normal or the plane that the torque acts on the moment arm and the magnitude, or in the case of angular momentum, the vector describes the magnitude and the normal of the plane the mass is rotating in. The way I understand precession is that a force acts on the angular momentum vector, which produces a torque with a vector pointing from the normal of the plane that the force vector and angular momentum vector produce.

What's odd to me though, is that I thought the angular momentum vector and torque vector directions were an arbitrary convention, but they seem to act like ordinary force vectors and moment arms, in that the force F acts on L as though it were a moment arm and produces the torque vector, [itex]\tau[/itex] which seems to act like a conventional force vector, causing L to have an angular acceleration. I don't understand how it works if the direction of L and [itex]\tau[/itex] are just arbitrary conventions. It seems like there is something more I'm missing. could someone please clear it up for me. Thanks

Attachments

• precession.jpg
    precession.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
FrankJ777 said:
I'm curious about how precession works. From what I thought I understood about angular momentum and torque vectors, the direction that they point are by arbitrary convention using the right hand rule. They are just a convenient expression of the normal or the plane that the torque acts on the moment arm and the magnitude, or in the case of angular momentum, the vector describes the magnitude and the normal of the plane the mass is rotating in. The way I understand precession is that a force acts on the angular momentum vector, which produces a torque with a vector pointing from the normal of the plane that the force vector and angular momentum vector produce.

What's odd to me though, is that I thought the angular momentum vector and torque vector directions were an arbitrary convention, but they seem to act like ordinary force vectors and moment arms, in that the force F acts on L as though it were a moment arm and produces the torque vector, [itex]\tau[/itex] which seems to act like a conventional force vector, causing L to have an angular acceleration. I don't understand how it works if the direction of L and [itex]\tau[/itex] are just arbitrary conventions. It seems like there is something more I'm missing. could someone please clear it up for me. Thanks
Precession is a difficult aspect of what is a very difficult subject - classical mechanics.

First of all, the force (of gravity) acts on the body; it does not act on the angular momentum vector of the body. The torque of gravity adds to the angular momentum of the top.

1. If the top is not spinning, the torque resulting from gravity acting on the centre of mass about the tip will cause it to fall over immediately. The torque is represented mathematically by a vector perpendicular to the plane of the tip and the centre of mass as the top falls over. Since torque = dL/dt, the change in angular momentum (ΔL) as the top falls over is represented by a vector in the same direction as the torque. The value of ΔL is the integral of the torque x the time through which it acts. That is all easy enough.

2. Now let's see what happens when the top is already spinning and is perfectly vertical. It already has angular momentum that is represented by a vector [itex]\vec{L}[/itex] in the direction of the spinning axis of the top - i.e. it is perpendicular to the torque vector that made the top fall over in 1. Suppose I push the top over a little by applying a lateral force F on the upper portion of the top at a height h above the tip for time t.

This produces a momentary torque about the tip [itex]\tau = \vec{F}\times\vec{h}[/itex] for a time t so it imparts a change in angular momentum of [itex]\Delta \vec{L} = \vec{F}\times\vec{h}t[/itex]. The total angular momentum is now [itex]\vec{L}+\Delta \vec{L} = \vec{L} + \vec{F}\times\vec{h}t[/itex]. The change in the angular momentum vector is perpendicular to L, the angular momentum from the axis spin, so the resultant vector is a vector that is not quite vertical. In order to achieve that, the axis has to precess. When it does that, gravity starts exerting a torque. And the angular momentum vector keeps changing - by increasing the degree and rate of precession. All of this is quite complicated. Hyperphysics site has quite a good introductory explanation: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/top.html

AM

1. What is procession?

Procession refers to a group of people or things moving forward in an orderly and ceremonial manner, often for a specific purpose or event.

2. Why is procession important?

Processions have cultural, religious, and historical significance and are often used to commemorate and celebrate important events or people. They can also serve as a form of expression or protest.

3. How do procession rituals differ across cultures?

Procession rituals vary greatly across different cultures and can include different types of music, attire, and symbolic objects. These differences reflect the unique beliefs and traditions of each culture.

4. What is the origin of procession rituals?

The origin of procession rituals can be traced back to ancient civilizations, where they were used to honor deities, celebrate victories, and mark important events. They have evolved over time and are still practiced in various forms today.

5. How are modern processions different from traditional ones?

Modern processions may incorporate technology, such as loudspeakers and vehicles, to enhance the ceremonial experience. They may also have a more diverse and inclusive representation of participants compared to traditional processions.