Fitting VS Control Point?

by mymachine
Tags: control, fitting, point
mymachine is offline
Mar11-13, 07:40 PM
P: 42
If I construct a curve such start from point A0, A3, to point A6 where A1-A2 and A4-A5 are control points, is called a Bezier curve.

What is it called by and what its equation if I construct and fit a curve start from point A0 > A1 > A2 > A3 > A4 > A5 > A6 such as below image?

Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
dodo is offline
Mar11-13, 08:33 PM
P: 688
It is called a "spline",

and fitting one usually involves solving a band-diagonal system of equations, and some notions of calculus. (Or you could google for a software library that does the work.)

P.S.: There are actually many kinds of splines; the ones I had in mind, "cubic splines", are described in a link on the Wiki page I mentioned,

But again, it's reinventing the wheel as there are probably libraries to do so.
jfgobin is offline
Mar12-13, 04:26 AM
P: 90
gnuplot will do that for you.
Attached Thumbnails

Register to reply

Related Discussions
Can you move an IR remote control towards your eye up to the point of seeing red? General Physics 3
Best grad schools for control theory/control systems engineering? Academic Guidance 0
Fitting a cosine function to an inflection point and a point with known derivative Calculus 1
Curve fitting and Plane fitting Calculus 2
dimmer or router speed control as resistance heater level control Electrical Engineering 11