What is the relationship between crossing over and linked genes?

• Thread starter iScience
  • Start date
In summary, the parent genotype is always statistically the highest. I don't understand, I thought crossing over always happened in prophase I, this data would suggest otherwise wouldn't it? If the offspring statistics match that of the parent's genotype, then it's not likely that crossing over happens many many times and then eventually comes back to the original; it's more likely that the offspring genotypes just haven't changed at all which would imply no crossing over, but why? again, i thought all chromosomes underwent crossing over in Prophase I.
iScience
in a table with a in all of the table with the genotypes I'm being presented with (for linkages), like this one..

http://i.imgur.com/MQ7p2bI.jpg

the parent genotype (original genotype) is always statistically the highest. i don't understand, i thought crossing over always happened in prophase I, this data would suggest otherwise wouldn't it? if the offspring statistics match that of the parent's genotype, then it's not likely that crossing over happens many many times and then eventually comes back to to the original; it's more likely that the offspring genotypes just haven't changed at all which would imply no crossing over, but why? again, i thought all chromosomes underwent crossing over in Prophase I.

and what makes the middle gene so probablistically low when it is the only one from another chromosome? the fact that it had to undergo crossing over twice? why is this so unlikely?

also, what is the difference between complete linkage and partial linkage?

http://i.imgur.com/6lqfhlG.png

my understanding is that complete linkage is when there is a zero probability of a cross over. how can this ever be true if two genes are on one chromosome? even if the two genes are right next to each other, how can this be true?

Biology news on Phys.org
Crossing over is a random event. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21827/ (Linkage maps)

"The basic idea here is quite simple. Imagine two specific genes positioned a certain fixed distance apart. Now imagine random crossing-over along the paired homologs. In some meiotic divisions, nonsister chromatids cross over by chance in the chromosomal region between these genes; from these meioses, recombinants are produced. In other meiotic divisions, there are no crossovers between these genes; no recombinants result from these meioses. Sturtevant postulated a rough proportionality: the greater the distance between the linked genes, the greater the chance that nonsister chromatids would cross over in the region between the genes and, hence, the greater the proportion of recombinants that would be produced."

1. What are linkages?

Linkages refer to the connections or relationships between different components or systems. In science, linkages can refer to the connections between molecules, cells, organisms, or even larger systems like ecosystems.

2. Why is understanding linkages important?

Understanding linkages is important because they play a crucial role in how different systems function and interact with each other. By understanding linkages, scientists can better understand the complex processes in nature and make more accurate predictions and models.

3. How do scientists study linkages?

Scientists study linkages through various methods such as experiments, observations, and mathematical modeling. They also use technologies like microscopes, genetic sequencing, and computer simulations to study and analyze linkages at different levels.

4. What are some examples of linkages in nature?

There are many examples of linkages in nature, such as the relationships between predator and prey, the interactions between different species in an ecosystem, and the connections between different organs and systems in the human body.

5. Can linkages change over time?

Yes, linkages can change over time. As ecosystems and environments change, different linkages may form or become stronger or weaker. Additionally, within living organisms, linkages can change through genetic mutations or adaptations to their environment.