Simple mathematical problem

In summary, the conversation addresses an equation that is ambiguous and incorrectly written. The correct reading of the equation is e^(hf/kT) - 1 and it is likely related to the Planck distribution. The additional bracket [] may be present because it is part of a larger equation.
Mechatron
Is this equation equal to:

(e^(hf/kT)) - 1

or

e^( (hf/kT) - 1 )

http://s29.postimg.org/le6iqy3rb/exp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The former.

Mechatron said:
Is this equation equal to:

(e^(hf/kT)) - 1

or

e^( (hf/kT) - 1 )

http://s29.postimg.org/le6iqy3rb/exp.png
First off, what you wrote is NOT an equation. An equation always has an = symbol in it.

The image in the link is [exp(hf/kT) - 1].

What you have written is ambiguous, as what you probably meant is this:
$$e^{\frac{hf}{kT} - 1}$$

What you actually wrote, though, is this:
$$e^{\frac{hf}{k}T - 1}$$

The brackets - [] - around the entire expression are unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
First off, what you wrote is NOT an equation. An equation always has an = symbol in it.

The image in the link is [exp(hf/kT) - 1].

What you have written is ambiguous, as what you probably meant is this:
$$e^{\frac{hf}{kT} - 1}$$

What you actually wrote, though, is this:
$$e^{\frac{hf}{k}T - 1}$$

The brackets - [] - around the entire expression are unnecessary.
Why did you put the -1 in the exponential? The parenthesis limit the argument of exp to hf/kT.

My guess is that Mechatron did not write that himself, but saw it in a book. It's most probably related to the Planck distribution (blackbody radiation). As economicsnerd said, the correct reading is
$$
e^{\beta h f} - 1 \mbox{ where } \beta = \frac{1}{kT}
$$
The additional bracket [] might be there because it is part of a greater equation.

Im sorry to be off topic but I'm using a i device and i can't see (what i think to be) mathematical symbols that are in this thread... They appear as dollar signs and other randoms, i was wondering if maybe I'm short of additional download or setting adjustments. All help is highly appreciated

DrClaude said:
Why did you put the -1 in the exponential? The parenthesis limit the argument of exp to hf/kT.
The posted image, which doesn't have the -1 term, doesn't match the expressions in the first post. In the first post Mechatron asks about these expressions:
(e^(hf/kT)) - 1

and

e^( (hf/kT) - 1 )

In any case, this is moot, as Mechatron has been banned from PF.

DrClaude said:
My guess is that Mechatron did not write that himself, but saw it in a book. It's most probably related to the Planck distribution (blackbody radiation). As economicsnerd said, the correct reading is
$$
e^{\beta h f} - 1 \mbox{ where } \beta = \frac{1}{kT}
$$
The additional bracket [] might be there because it is part of a greater equation.

1. What is a simple mathematical problem?

A simple mathematical problem is a mathematical equation or equation set that can be easily solved using basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I solve a simple mathematical problem?

To solve a simple mathematical problem, you can start by identifying the given numbers or variables and the mathematical operation needed to solve the problem. Then, follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) to solve the equation step by step.

3. What are the common types of simple mathematical problems?

The common types of simple mathematical problems include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems. Other examples include finding the area or perimeter of a shape, calculating percentages, and solving basic algebraic equations.

4. Can a simple mathematical problem have more than one solution?

Yes, a simple mathematical problem can have more than one solution. For example, if a problem asks for the value of x in the equation 2x = 10, the solutions can be x = 5 or x = -5. It is important to check your solution to ensure it satisfies the original equation.

5. How can I check if my solution to a simple mathematical problem is correct?

To check if your solution to a simple mathematical problem is correct, you can substitute your answer back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. You can also use a calculator or ask a friend or teacher to verify your solution.